Deliver consistent technical safety training programs to field logistics associates, particularly drivers, warehouse associates, and location leadership. Training activities will primarily focus on key operational functions such as major start-ups and focus location improvement efforts. In addition to delivering training, the Technical Safety Trainer will identify opportunities for curriculum enhancements relevant to our safety efforts. The Technical Safety Trainer will deliver training programs which leverage skill building techniques, while at the same time reinforcing safety processes and procedures. This position will enhance the customer experience by relieving some training and administrative responsibilities from field supervisors, managers, and Health & Safety Managers, which will allow more time for customer interaction and associate engagement.
- Conduct safety training via a classroom and hands-on learning environment to Penske Logistics locations, with primary focus on drivers, warehouse, and local leadership
(documents completions within Training Tracker)
- Advises the Green Hills Safety Team on identified changes to Penske classroom, hands-on, and online safety training to ensure content is updated and relevant
- Coordinates and monitors training matrix setup and adjustments within Training Tracker to ensure proper training assignments
- Maintains applicable certifications (Smith System / Worklete / Training Certificate)
- Identifying additional training requirements and opportunities for improvement
- Determine learning transfer to associates and asses need for further training
- Identify changes to, and additional material for, Penske classroom, hands-on, and online training to keep content updated and relevant to new processes and procedures, including lesson plan, training material, pre-requisites and assessment material
- Follow all standard Penske Safety practices, procedures and processes as well as DOT, OSHA, EPA, and all government regulations
- Identify improper execution of safety procedures/processes and work towards changing behaviors during class as well as follow up with location management team by advising them of additional skill development opportunities for individual associates
- Conduct follow-up evaluations of training class effectiveness and student retention. Prepare recommendations for course improvements
- Will make recommendations and provide expert advice to management on technical safety training needs, development of training programs, and delivery approach
- Analyze and recommend changes to training policy and practices
- Will work with leadership to resolve scheduling conflicts for associates identified for training programs.
- Other projects as assigned by the manager
- Bachelor’s Degree in either Safety or Adult Education or equivalent work experience required
- 7 - 10 years in the logistics industry with at least 3 years instructor/coaching experience
- Must have exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to make technical information easy to understand for a learning environment
- Must be an excellent listener, communicator and presenter. Easily able to engage the audience and have an approachable presence.
- Ability to travel up 75% required
- Knowledge of safety practices regarding general safety, as well as warehouse and transportation safety strongly preferred
- Must be able to work independently with organization and have strong time management skills
- Some experience with Microsoft office tools