• Responsible for performing sample processing of a wide variety of grain, feed and food products and assisting in laboratory extractions and analysis to determine chemical characteristics. This is a full time position located in Brookings, SD.
• Analytical Laboratory Manager
• Sample processing of a wide range of products for routine testing for food, feed and analytical testing. This would require the use of grinding and blending equipment, as well as cleaning and maintenance of this equipment.
• Perform routine quality control to insure quality of work.
• Set up, adjust, maintain and operate laboratory equipment.
• Sample filing and disposal for samples.
• Calibrate laboratory instruments to specified technical requirements.
• Troubleshoot in analysis and equipment when quality does not meet specifications.
• Prepare chemical solutions according to standard formulas and assist scientist in extractions as needed.
• Ensure laboratory area and equipment is cleaned and organized.
• Ensure quality and confidentiality of client and company information and take an active role in updating Quality System.
• Maintain quality protocols for testing area and implement preventative practices.
• Assist in other areas of the company as needed.
• Promote responsibility, good work habits, a positive work environment and improving customer service
• At all times, comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct.
• Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology, or related scientific field. Significant laboratory experience can be substituted for degree.
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms.
• Ability to work independently, often under time-sensitive situations, within a team environment.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels.
• Must be able to work in a fast paced environment.
• This job may require standing for long periods of time, using high manual dexterity, basic math skills and some lifting (20-60 pounds).
• Excellent organization skills which includes the ability to execute several assignments simultaneously.
• Must be able to attend work regularly and dependably.
HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES
• Demonstrate strong commitment to SGS HSE Policies, Procedures, and Work Instructions by participating in safety meetings, completing required training, intervening in unsafe situations, refusing unsafe work, and complying fully with all applicable laws and regulations related to HSE.
• Respond appropriately to emergency situations and assists other staff members in maintaining readiness to respond to emergencies within the workplace.
• In accordance with the SGS HSE Management System requirements, dispose of, or direct the disposal of waste generated as part of daily work performed in a safe manner and in compliance with all waste transportation and disposal regulations and requirements.
• Report all incidents (actual incidents and near misses) in accordance with the SGS Incident Reporting requirements.
• Use all equipment (including safety equipment) in the manner intended and report any damaged/lost equipment to supervisor.
• Maintain a safe and tidy worksite.
• Maintain awareness of hazards and propose controls to supervisor, HSE Representatives or relevant client/site contact.
• Actively participates in incident investigations and risk assessments as deemed necessary by SGS management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
SGS is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status or disability.