A Pastry Cook is for maintaining, setting up, food production and quality control of all bread, pastry, and dessert items.
What will I be doing?
A Pastry Cook is for maintaining, setting up, food production and quality control of all bread, pastry, and dessert items. Specifically, you would be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Prepare food items according to standard recipes and as specified, to ensure consistency of product. Prepares cookies, pies, dough and other basic items as instructed
- Performs all prep work for cakes, pies, mousses, plated desserts, fills danish, organizes and cleans walk-in coolers and freezers.
- Stores all food products in walk-in coolers/freezers and dry storage, including covering, labeling dating and proper rotation. Checks expiration dates, especially in highly perishable food items.
- Performs general/routine cleaning tasks using standard hotel cleaning products as assigned by your supervisor, to adhere to food safety and sanitation standards.
- Performs HACCP monitoring of temperatures (hot and cold holding, and refrigeration equipment) and maintains good food safety and sanitation standards, proper use of sanitizing solution.
What are we looking for?
High School Diploma or equivalent. Culinary Community College program preferred.
One year minimum pastry experience required in comparable operation.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES
Ability to obtain Tuberculosis Clearance Certificate. Ability to obtain certification in HACCP, food safety and sanitation.
All team members must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance (specific standards available).
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must have basic knowledge of the fundamentals of baking and pastry preparation.
- Must have basic knowledge of accepted standards of HACCP, food safety and sanitation.
- Must have knowledge of operating all kitchen equipment, i.e., stoves, ovens, broilers, slicers, steamers, kettles, etc.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements and portion sizes.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand the English language in order to read recipes and communicate with other team members.
- Sufficient manual dexterity of hand in order to use all kitchen equipment, i.e., knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slices, etc.
- Ability to stand and work continuously in confined spaces.
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges and stand for extended periods of time up to and above eight hours.
- Must be a team player
- Must be able to handle criticism
- Must be able to deal effectively with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy, and collect accurate information to avoid or resolve conflicts.
Since being founded in 1919, Hilton has been a leader in the hospitality industry. Today, Hilton remains a beacon of innovation, quality, and success. This continued leadership is the result of our Team Members staying true to our Vision, Mission, and Values. Specifically, we look for demonstration of these Values:
- Hospitality - We're passionate about delivering exceptional guest experiences.
- Integrity - We do the right thing, all the time.
- Leadership - We're leaders in our industry and in our communities.
- Teamwork - We're team players in everything we do.
- Ownership - We're the owners of our actions and decisions.
- Now - We operate with a sense of urgency and discipline
In addition, we look for the demonstration of the following key attributes:
- Customer Focus
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!