Vice President, Financial Intelligence Unit
PenFed is hiring a Vice President, Financial Intelligence Unit in Alexandria, Virginia. The primary purpose of this job is to be responsible for leading all financial intelligence, internal and external investigations and supporting fraud prevention, detection, servicing and recovery teams across the company. The VP of the Financial Intelligence Unit will have direct oversight and be in concert with other PenFed business leaders, in the protection of PenFed’s membership and corporate brand and reputation against fraud committed by third party actors with the intent to cause fraud losses. In addition, the incumbent will be a proven leader and expert based on their financial intelligence and fraud expertise. Qualified candidates must be a US Citizen and have the ability to obtain a US Security Clearance.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Create an environment and culture of a high performing team that is engaged and committed to performing the mission to protect PenFed.
- Provide leadership and coordination in the protection of all product lines, channels, and payment systems across PenFed to include, but not limited to checking, savings, loans, credit and debit card and all associated payment systems such as wire, ACH, ATM and card networks.
- Provide strategic oversight of fraud prevention and detection related business controls and ongoing self-assessment and validation across all channels, products and payment systems.
- Utilize data and analytics to manage fraud false/positive ratios and detection rates that balances fraud risk with member experience using a fact based data driven approach.
- Possess competence and confidence to effectively influence across a matrixed organization and will build or maintain excellent relationships across all levels of the organization and externally to include regulators, law enforcement and vendors.
- Work across PenFed business lines to communicate and collaborate on fraud policy changes that are acceptable to the business while balancing risk.
- Regularly interact with federal regulators, law enforcement, C-Suite executives and the Board of Directors to sell the vision and instill trust and confidence that PenFed’s brand and reputation is protected against fraud risks efficiently, while balancing member experience.
- Constantly seeking out innovative solutions to efficiently and effectively manage fraud loss exposure while enhancing member experience.
- Represent PenFed with applicable regulators such as NCUA and CRPB as needed and be able to effectively present and provide information as requested.
- Data driven decision maker that knows the ideal metrics and dashboards to create and manage to fraud operational efficiency/effectiveness and member friction.
- Develop annual strategic plan, goals and objectives, policies, procedures, resource requirements, and budget consistent with the strategies and objectives of the Chief Security Officer and PenFed overall.
- Self-confident and subject matter expert in fraud prevention, detection and mitigation and maintains strong cross industry relationships.
- Sets an example of high personal standards and holds people accountable to agree upon results.
- Actively develops subordinates/successors. Provides opportunity for personal leadership growth and effectively communicates company strategic visions from the top to the individual contributor.
- As a Vice President, this role is responsible for supporting activities to ensure business continuity.
Education and Experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required. Master’s degree is desired.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years’ of experience leading teams within financial services fraud management, and seven (7) years’ of leading direct managers of people.
- Minimum five (5) years’ of experience working with federal and local law enforcement in regards to fraud cases.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ of experience interacting, working and meeting with federal regulators.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ of experience using data and analytics managing fraud models and rules.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ of experience in presenting to senior level “C-Suite” executives to include Board of Directors.
- Experience working with Information Technology/Information Security personnel and understanding how software/hardware solutions can be applied to mitigate fraud.
- Experience working with fraud technology and platforms used in authentication and money movement risk solutions.
- A strong working knowledge of financial regulations such as but not limited to Reg CC, Reg E, Reg B, Reg Z, UCC4, AML/BSA CIP, KYC, EDD and ID Theft Red Flags Program.
- Process engineering experience is desired.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must be able to obtain a US Security Clearance
This position will directly supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) or similar certification is strongly preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
* Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call is required.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 1.6 million members and over $23 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and Portugal. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
Our mission isn’t simply to help our members get by. We exist to help them realize every ounce of their potential. We exist to educate, and to encourage. We exist to usher their dreams into the land of reality.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 703-838-1568.