As an M1 Armor Crewman, you’ll keep your unit ready to roll. You will operate tanks like the M1A2 Abrams. one of the most sophisticated pieces of military equipment in the world, and other amphibious assault vehicles to engage and destroy the enemy. Your duties may require you to drive armored equipment; identify and pursue targets; and fire weapons to take out enemy forces or positions.
• Operate tracked and wheeled vehicles over various terrain
• Use communications equipment to receive and relay battle orders
• Read maps, compasses, and battle plans
Some of the Skills You’ll Learn
• Armor offensive and defensive tactics
• Map reading and scouting techniques
• Field combat strategy
• Readiness to accept a challenge
• Top physical and mental shape
Besides becoming familiar with the operation of the mechanics/repair industry, the discipline, teamwork, and leadership skills you develop as an M1 Armor Crewman can be applied in any civilian career.
Earn While You Learn
Instead of paying to learn these skills, get paid to train. In the Army National Guard, you will learn these valuable job skills while earning a regular paycheck and qualifying for tuition assistance.
Job training for an M1 Armor Crewman requires 15 weeks of One Station Unit Training, which consists of Basic Training to learn basic Soldiering skills, and Advanced Individual Training to learn your specialty in depth. Part of this time is spent in a classroom and part in the field under simulated combat.