The purpose of Refrigeration Technician is to maintain, diagnose, repair, rebuild, adjust, perform preventive maintenance and install equipment within and around the facility so as to keep the production operational and have zero loss of production. This individual will perform the duties of a Refrigeration Technician and assist other maintenance personnel on his/her shift and will be responsible for all necessary paperwork and documentation as they relate to the job.Core Responsibilities
- The operation of ammonia refrigeration compressors, condensers, pumps, vessels / recirculators, purgers, evaporators / RMAU’s, and heat exchangers while using standard operating procedures.
- Make rounds and keep logs of daily operations and events for multiple engine rooms and refrigeration equipment.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting of ammonia refrigeration compressors, condensers, pumps, vessels / recirculators, purgers, evaporators / RMAU’s, heat exchangers, and control valves / isolation valves while using the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Perform Line & Equipment Opening procedures.
- Pass a physical, pulmonary test, respirator fit test and meet the requirements for Haz-Mat team (Must be able to wear a Level A chemical suit) on an annual basis.
- Adhere to all Smithfield safety requirements including PPE usage, preventing and reporting unsafe acts and conditions, Lock out-Tag out procedures and Process Safety Management related items.
- Obtain RETA 1 Certificate within 1 year of hire date.
- Obtain RETA 2 Certificate within 2 years of hire date.
- Able to work 12 hour shifts 6-7 day periods and weekends as needed.
- Work in -40 to 100+ degree temperatures.
- 3+ years’ experience in operation and maintenance of Ammonia Refrigeration system.
- Electrical experience and troubleshooting in low and high voltage circuits, motors, and controls.
- Strong reading, math, writing, analytical, skills required and high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Basic knowledge of computers.
- Must able to lift 100 pounds.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces.
- Must be able to pass a pulmonary function & respirator fit test.
- Must be able to work in -40 to 100+ degree temperatures.
- Must not be afraid of heights.
- Perform assigned tasks efficiently with minimum supervision.
- PSM 14 elements awareness
- Previous Haz-Mat experience
- RETA certifications
- Having HVAC experience with refrigerants R-22, R-134a, R-404A, R-407C, and R-410A
- Fork lift operator experience
- Welding and pipe fitting experience
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Plant environment will include wet, damp, cold, slippery and loud conditions with moving parts, and vibrating parts.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits