SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With over 97,000 employees in 130 countries and operating a network of more than 2,400 offices and laboratories, we provide services to almost every industry by assuring quality and safety of products and services.
Trusted all over the world, SGS is a market leader because we put 100% passion, pride and innovation into everything we do. We encourage new ideas. We welcome people who challenge the way we do things. And we will be 100% committed to helping you reach your full potential.
As the Analytical Chemist, you will prepare samples and analyze them while following official methods and company/laboratory SOPs. Qualified technical expertise in the business area.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop, review, submit, and file reports on client sample tests, correlation tests, calibration, validation, proposal, and other projects. Authorized to review and sign datasheets and client reports.
- Operation, maintenance, calibration, qualification, and trouble-shooting of laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Develop, write, review, and validate test methods, laboratory SOPs, and other department level operating, safety, and quality documents.
- Investigation on, response to, and follow-up of client inquiries and complaints.
- Internal and external technical support to marketing, sales, customer services, and clients regarding test, report, and other technical information.
- Coordinate with laboratory technicians and/or assistants on sample receiving, logging, pretreatment, preparation, testing and other tasks.
- Coordinate, manage, and conduct multiple projects within tight deadlines.
- Ensure lab area complies with corporate and local QHSE responsibilities.
- Comply with local and corporate QHSE requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BS degree with at least 2 years test lab experience or AA degree in engineering with at least 4 years test lab experience, or at least 8 years of technical experience plus some supervisory experience.
- Familiarity with ISO, ASTM, TAPPI, NWSP, and other testing methods and knowledge of government, industry, and other regulations, standards, and methodologies.
- Must have experience with Fiber Science, SEM, or IR.
- Familiarity with Quality Management System and ISO 17025 requirements.
- Must understand the essentials of the types of tests conducted in the lab.
- Attend work regularly and predictably.
- Work independently and with limited supervision and as part of a team.
- Maintain adequate knowledge of technology relating to the area of expertise.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills. Advanced mathematical skills.
- Knowledge of ISO, ASTM, WSP, TAPPI, IPS, and other industry standards applicable to an area of expertise.
- Knowledge of approved QA standards and procedures for the assigned lab.
- Effective computer and equipment skills are relevant to the lab area.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a callback. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.