Are you looking to take your career from good to great? As an employee of PenFed, every day is an opportunity to thrive, and be part of a team working to ensure our organization is providing world class service to our members, employees, and our communities. We exist to help our members realize their full potential, educate and encourage their dreams, and make every effort to follow our mission and help our members “do better.” Joining PenFed is more than being an employee; it’s about being a part of the PenFed family.
PenFed is hiring an Apprentice Engineer, IT Mainframe Systems at our Chantilly, Virginia location. The primary purpose of this apprenticeship is about learning and to work with other system administrators to perform activities including installing and tailoring of the operating system within a mainframe environment; does other related work as required. This position will provide basic technical and functional support, maintenance, administration, and documentation under direct supervision for PenFed’s various enterprise, core, member facing, and employee facing systems.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Study and learn assigned systems and technologies to learn the assigned PenFed mainframe environment, along with associated 3rd party software systems/tools.
- Establish technical knowledge and capabilities through industry related technical research and study, continue to develop improved understanding of mainframe systems and technologies.
- Assist in the technical support for mainframe systems to include troubleshooting, repair and recovery from basic hardware or software failures in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Display knowledge of mainframe operating systems relative to problem resolution within a mainframe environment.
- With mentor guidance, perform routine operational tasks, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, resources, systems, and key processes.
- Work with mentors to install, configure, test and maintain systems, 3rd party software and system management tools.
- Create or augment existing system documentation when necessary.
- Assist with the development, documentation, and testing of new products and system enhancements of a simple nature.
- Maintain Penfed’s compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances by abiding by PenFed compliance program and all policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of changes to policies and procedures within the IT Department.
- Demonstrate strong problem solving, critical thinking, organization, and communication skills.
- Display the ability to work independently and take initiative, as well as work collaboratively and contribute to an agile team environment.
- Exhibit drive and eagerness to learn new technologies and associated skills.
- Escalate issues, keep informed, advise and receive direction
Gain operational knowledge of the systems & applications supported
Share knowledge and experiences
Be open to direction and constructive criticism
Be excited about opportunities and challenges presented
Be inquisitive and challenge the norm
Be a team player and respectful
- Business Units/3rd Parties
- Understand, study and provide solutions to their technical issues
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Some basic knowledge or experience in one or more of the following is preferred:
- Mainframe hardware and systems functions
- Installing, troubleshooting, operating, testing, planning or configuring relevant technologies
- Reading and interpreting mainframe system/application program dumps and traces
- Proficiency in the use of applications running on Windows and Linux workstations
- Working knowledge of utility programs
- Working knowledge of communication networks
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call is required.
Special Message Regarding COVID 19
PenFed is continuing to hire and train exceptional individuals to help us serve our 2 million members both here and around the world. In light of the current situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we have modified our hiring, onboarding, training, and deployment protocols in order to comply with current local and state guidance around social distancing.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 2 million members and over $26 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 240-224-4256.