Are you an ambitious, enthusiastic leader with a desire to guide teams in achieving established goals and is interested in producing good food, responsibly for families across America? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
The Area Hog Buyer procures livestock from existing suppliers, prepares schedules and deliveries for the plant, reports purchases, identifies new suppliers and cultivates relationships with current suppliers and key industry contacts.Core Responsibilities
- Purchases and schedules the targeted number of high quality market pigs for each designated facility using the pricing tools and parameters set by the procurement team.
- Understands and interprets markets for procuring hogs with suppliers. Utilizes technology to demonstrate where opportunities exist in improving their business.
- Maintains professional business relationships with suppliers. Provides feedback and information from data gathered through plant databases. Cultivates long-term business relationships with current and prospective suppliers.
- Meets with suppliers at their locations to understand their needs and identifies changes. Supports current and future databases with updated supplier information, production knowledge and competitor analysis as needed.
- Communicates and promotes plant specific and regulatory compliance requirements to suppliers and truckers. Accurately reports all purchase information.
- Tracks and communicates competitor insight, market trends and issues that might arise in a timely manner. Remains current, knowledgeable and proactive in completing required training.
- Represents the Company Brand in all interactions with management, producers, and strategic industry partners.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in animal science, agricultural business, agricultural economics, economics, business or related field and 5+ years’ of relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Truckers Quality Assurance-Advisor Training and Pork Quality Assurance-Certification or Advisor, preferred.
- Prior knowledge of the pork or food industry.
- USDA bondable.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Economic and math skills, and the ability to analyze information and data.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong business and negotiating skills.
- Independent decision making abilities.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working. relationships and a positive work environment.
- Support the efforts of Management in training and mentoring new team members as needed.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits