We are looking for an Assignment Desk Manager for a Washington D.C. based national morning newscast. The position requires strong skills in journalism, leadership and creativity. The candidate will assist the day-to-day production of newscasts. This position will also work closely with the Executive Producer, Producers, Digital Team, Reporters and Anchor on the newscast and its content. In this position you will contribute content to newscasts and digital platforms.
The ideal candidate will have solid news judgment, be a compelling and accurate writer, and be able to multitask and manage their time in order to help put together an exciting and informative newscast. In addition to the ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment.
Essential Duties and
nclude the following:
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Energy & positivity
- The ability to take direction and work efficiently during breaking news events
- Must work well in a team environment
- A self-starter and who can generate his or her own story ideas daily
- Ability to edit video for stories
- Ability to write and post stories on digital platforms
- Ability to work under a deadline and on a flexible schedule is required
- Contribute story ideas to daily editorial meetings
- Conduct interviews when required via, phone, email, Skype or other methods
- Participate in regular content planning meetings
- Create planning system for daily, weekly, monthly coverage
- Coordinate special event planning and logistics
- Build and maintain database of news sources and contacts
- Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience working as an Assignment Editor, Reporter or Content Producer in a commercial news operation
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to learn to execute news strategies
- Flexibility and on-the-spot problem soliving abilities are a must
- Journalism degree preferred
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!
Make your mark in Media with Sinclair Broadcast Group, a diversified media company dedicated to connecting people with content everywhere! We have consistently led the broadcast industry since our inception, and now Sinclair owns the largest regional sports network business and one of the largest television broadcast portfolios in the country. In addition, we have affiliations with all of the major broadcast networks, own Tennis Channel, and several multicast networks including TBD and Comet. Our content is distributed over-the-air, on multi-video providers, and through our industry-leading digital media platforms. We also recently launched a free TV streaming service called STIRR. Our success is the direct result of our extraordinary employees and management team who believe in our vision and are dedicated to ensuring a great future for our employees. We are advancing the world of Media and want YOU to join our winning team!
About the Team
The life-blood of our organization is our people. We have a compelling story, a goal-oriented culture, and we take really good care of people. How good? Here is a glimpse: great benefits, open door policy, upward mobility and a strong desire to see you succeed. Ready to be part of a winning team? Let’s talk.