ABC7 News in Washington, DC is in search of a leader who is a creative storyteller with a multi-platform aggressive approach to ‘On Your Side’ storytelling, breaking news and enterprising investigative news content. Our Assistant News Director works closely with the News Director and our entire News Management team to protect the station’s credibility, questioning the content, accuracy, and fairness of scripts and web stories.
- Working closely with Producers, Reporters, Anchors, Assignment Editor and Photographers on daily ‘On Your Side’ news coverage
- Overseeing production of newscasts and special programming on our ABC 7 and WJLA 24/7 channels
- Monitoring reporter story development throughout the day on all platforms
- Reviewing daily newscasts, our website and app to ensure quality control and ‘On Your Side’ brand compliance
- Writing copy and edit scripts for on-air and digital
- Working with the News Director and other News Managers to establish newsroom goals and work to develop and further the station’s news brand
- Help Produce ‘On Your Side’ Specials, Town Halls, Election coverage, Sweeps and Enterprise content strategies
- Help with recruiting and hiring for news department personnel
- Assisting in the on-going evaluation of personnel
- Managing daily station programming changes and closed captioning with traffic and master control operations
- Coordinating with other SBG group stations and the national bureau for story sharing and collaboration
- Scheduling of Anchors and Reporters
- A Proactive and great work ethic, to handle a 24 hour news operation
- Working knowledge of journalistic ethics, libel, and privacy laws
- Proven track record for getting results on initiatives
- Ability to plan and adjust personnel during breaking news
- Be investigative and enterprise reporting-driven
- A passion for digital/social media platforms
- Great people skills with an emphasis on coaching and motivating
- Broad understanding of newsroom operations and equipment
- Four-year degree in journalism or communications preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to identify and solve operational issues, and provide efficient solutions
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage conflicting priorities
- Ability to perform under pressure and meet deadlines
- Minimum of five years of experience as a News Manager
- Experience with iNews preferred
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!
Make your mark in Media with Sinclair Broadcast Group, a diversified media company dedicated to connecting people with content everywhere! We have consistently led the broadcast industry since our inception, and now Sinclair owns the largest regional sports network business and one of the largest television broadcast portfolios in the country. In addition, we have affiliations with all of the major broadcast networks, own Tennis Channel, and several multicast networks including TBD and Comet. Our content is distributed over-the-air, on multi-video providers, and through our industry-leading digital media platforms. We also recently launched a free TV streaming service called STIRR. Our success is the direct result of our extraordinary employees and management team who believe in our vision and are dedicated to ensuring a great future for our employees. We are advancing the world of Media and want YOU to join our winning team!
About the Team
The life-blood of our organization is our people. We have a compelling story, a goal-oriented culture, and we take really good care of people. How good? Here is a glimpse: great benefits, open door policy, upward mobility and a strong desire to see you succeed. Ready to be part of a winning team? Let’s talk.