For nearly 80 years, Segal has been providing employee benefits and human resources consulting for multiemployer trust funds, corporations and public sector organizations. Segal is an independent privately and employee-owned firm. Our independence allows us to provide unbiased consulting services for our clients. Headquartered in New York City, Segal has offices throughout the United States and in Canada. We are a smaller organization that provides a more intense and broader exposure for development purposes within a culture that is highly collegial and team-oriented. You will work with colleagues who are smart, professional, talented and...nice people. We also offer a competitive pay and benefits package that includes a Defined Benefit pension and match 401(k) plans.
Position / Role Impact Summary:
The Associate Consultant, Health works under the direction and guidance of health benefits consultants and senior client team members. The Associate Consultant focuses on mastery of core knowledge/skills and developing competence in complex, non-standard knowledge/skills. The incumbent is integral in supporting the delivery of a broad and diverse range of group health benefits consulting services to clients in the Multiemployer and Public Sector markets and performs in a role that is highly visible and involving significant client contact. The Associate Consultant works independently and on teams and may supervise Level 1 and 2 staff on small to medium sized projects, exercising cooperation, initiative and commitment to meeting assignment and project deadlines. The Associate Consultant proactively mentors and coaches junior staff members and, contributes to a work culture that is diverse, equitable and inclusive.
Client team and project experiences involve extensive client-facing opportunities and are purposely designed to provide broad-based exposure to the design, development, and implementation aspects of employee benefit projects. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Works with and analyzes complex data and actuarial valuations of health plans (e.g., budget projections, retiree health valuations, demography, claims experience, financial performance, cost-effectiveness, renewal analyses, health delivery system and/or other benefits related issues).
- Prepares reports and memoranda communicating results of analyses to consultants and clients.
- May perform as the technical and/or secondary consultant for select clients, contributing expertise to peers, consultants and clients.
- Project manages the delivery of client services to include planning, budgeting, overseeing, quality assuring and delivering work product/services.
- Contributes to practice development and quality improvement initiatives; and
- Supports and may lead initiatives to grow revenue.
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience performing relevant roles within a consulting firm and/or progressive corporate environment. Work experience must include involvement in the analysis, design and implementation of a broad range of benefits programs.
- Bachelor's degree in related field, i.e., Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance, Accounting, or Health Policy.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical, and quantitative ability.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills (oral / writing) along with ability to interact with a diverse audience of colleagues and clients.