With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
The Associate Director of Donor Experience and Innovation will be responsible for being CSL Plasma donor’s advocate. Focused on improving their experience before, during and after donations. In charge of designing and implementing new programs to acquire and retain donors, expand our donor base and improve their overall experience and brand loyalty. This position is designed to significantly expand CSL Plasma’s Innovation capabilities to evolve and transform both the brand and the donor experience to meet our 2030 business donation goals.
The Associate Director will leverage trends, competitive intelligence, and donor insights, to identify new, innovative growth opportunities, new service opportunities, and an enhanced donor experience that will help drive a competitive edge for the CSL Plasma brand. This Innovation expert will provide an additional voice to the senior leadership team, by serving as an advocate for customer-centric Innovation, to help accelerate sustainable, profitable growth for the Company.
1 Vision and Strategic Planning – work closely with the Head of Marketing, Marketing Counterparts, Operations, and other functional leaders, to align the organization behind an aggressive vision to grow CSL Plasma through disruptive Innovation and new service initiatives to improve our donor experience. This new Innovation leader will begin to imagine and design new opportunities that align with CSL Plasma’s overall growth strategy, and both current and emerging market trends.
2 Identify Business Opportunities – Leverage a variety of data-gathering tools and information assets, macro trends, healthcare trends, customer segmentations, need states, market structure, attitudes and usage, competitive benchmarking, personal observation to begin the process of understanding where opportunities exist to create new value for the CSL Plasma brand.
3 Customer Experience & Personalization – Deep customer/donor Journey/Lifecycle Marketing expertise including Segmentation, and Personalization and Customer Journey Management, at scale. Expertise in direct (1:1) Marketing to consumers is a must, with a proven track record of developing effective segmentation and targeting strategies to maximize value from large and complex customer databases. We need someone who understands how to create and deliver an exceptional, loyalty-driving experience.
4 Brand Stewardship – While this role won’t manage the “CSL Plasma” brand, this Innovation leader will serve as a passionate advocate and gatekeeper for the brand’s equity and position in the market. They will apply this spirit of stewardship and guidance to new products and services being developed across channels and customer segments.
5 Quantify, Qualify, Validate & Test – Lead (and collaborate with) a multi-functional team of CSL Plasma colleagues (particularly Operations), and external partners and Innovation experts, to qualify a range of high-potential initiatives. This work will include developing—and validating—the product or service build, the concept, and identification of incremental revenue/profit potential. Collaborate with CSL Plasma colleagues to deliver technologies and new services that lead to enhanced donor experience and brand value.
6 Recommend Priorities – Based on comprehensive analysis, modeling, forecasting, CSL Plasma stakeholder input, and early concept testing and qualitative assessments, recommend specific business opportunities (product and service concepts) to pursue, based on strategic fit with the brands’ core equity, size of the prize (NPV, ROI), odds of success, and timing. Key to success will be driving a series of smaller-scale wins, and longer-term “homeruns,” so the portfolio has balance in terms of risk, return and timing.
7 Lead National Expansions – Once testing is completed, and all readable aspects of the new initiative are optimized, this Innovation leader will sell the national/global expansion recommendation, and then help lead an integrated rollout with Brand, Field Marketing, and Operations partners. Continually monitor new initiatives and course-correct as market conditions warrant. As new brands and new products/services expand nationally/globally, this Innovation leader will continue to hand-off and transition ownership, integration and accountability to their Brand and Marketing counterparts.
8 Evangelize an Innovation Culture – With each commercial success, leverage that momentum and seek to expand the scope and impact of the CSL Plasma Innovation team, including pushing the capability further across the enterprise, further across geographies, and most importantly, expanding the work as broadly as possible—essentially, anywhere thinking and operating differently could result in enhanced enterprise value. Conceptualize and implement Innovation activities, including but not limited to challenges, “Lunch and Learn” workshops, etc., to disseminate an Innovation culture and practice across CSL.
9 Functional Management – Work with the Head of Marketing and other functional leaders to build and shape a highly-effective, world-class Innovation capability setting leadership direction for any external agency partners. Define and nurture a collaborative and donor-centric Innovation culture—cross-functionally—within the broader CSL organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, marketing or equivalent combination of education
- MBA preferred
• Minimum 8 years management experience, including managing employees required
• Progressively more responsible positions in a complex organization and experience working in a regulated environment preferred
• Excellent critical reasoning, decision-making and problem solving skills to analyze situations, determine risks, find solutions to prevent future issues and resolve recurring defects
• Strong leadership, training, written and verbal communication and interpersonal and presentation skills to drive results
- Proven experience developing compelling, profitable new ideas from an “end to end” perspective (e.g., concept to activation). Must understand the importance of using a robust Stage Gate—or comparable—development process. Experience should include line extensions, upgrades, flankers, and new-to-world brand development
- A strong foundation in CPG Future Marketing will be necessary, given the discipline and rigor applied to Innovation in most world class CPG companies. Additionally, given the fluid movement of talent between Brand/Line Marketing roles, and Innovation roles, we would expect strong experience in Brand Management or Marketing as part of this person’s background
- Ideally, we would like to see progression from larger companies, to smaller companies, where success required operating with a different level of resourcefulness. We need someone who knows how to compress timelines, and fully leverage every person and every dollar in the organization. “Big-company trained” is the right starting point, but “smaller-company scrappy” is what we really need
- Must bring proven experience managing, developing, and installing an Innovation/Brand-centric culture. This ability extends to external relationships, too, with key agency partners, trends experts, futurists, NPD consultants, and other suppliers who specialize in Innovation and New Product Development
- New Revenue and Gross Profit generated from Innovation initiatives
- Successful hit-rate with Innovation Pipeline (“batting average”)
- Brand health measurements (impact of new products on broader CSL brand equity)
- Successful integration of new CSL initiatives with Brand and Field Marketing Ops
- Successful partnership-building with internal and external resources
- 360-degree feedback from internal CSL teammates
(physical & mental requirements)
- Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the department’s creditability, operations and services
- Ability to formulate complex and comprehensive materials such as authoritative reports of major scope and impact, etc. and/or to make formal presentations
- Frequently exposed to hazardous chemicals, extreme temperatures and blood borne pathogens
- Required to wear Personal Protective Equipment while performing specific tasks or in certain areas
- Assure employee, customer, and product safety for region
- Ability to lift or carry up to 25 lbs.
- Fast paced environment with frequent interruptions
- Overnight travel may be required up to 30% of the time
Note: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, national origin or other legally protected classifications.