Battelle’s founding mission “to translate scientific discovery and technology advances into societal benefit” is as relevant today as when we opened our doors over 90 years ago. Our science and technology enhance society's well-being and create critical innovations that drive scientific advances for the future. We conduct groundbreaking research and development, design and manufacture leading-edge products, and deliver critical services for commercial and government customers. Our work meets the needs of the nation when it matters most, and Battelle is committed to driving innovation today and for generations to come.
We are currently seeking an Associate Industrial Hygienist to support Battelle’s research laboratories located in Columbus, OH.
The Associate Industrial Hygienist position ensures overall compliance with Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) regulations associated with Battelle’s research activities. This is accomplished by assisting Project Managers assess EHS risks and implementing appropriate hazard mitigation techniques for incoming (often novel) projects to Battelle’s many diverse laboratories.
- Plans, develops, and implements occupational safety and emergency response procedures, plans, and programs for operational organizations.
- Conducts risk analyses of hazardous operations and activities in the supported operational organization and identifies appropriate mitigation of the risks identified.
- Exercises professional judgment in identifying occupational safety issues, selecting appropriate solutions under differing situations, and determining priorities and ensuring procedures accomplish desired end results.
- Develops and provides effective occupational safety and emergency response training programs.
- Participates with Battelle Corporate Emergency Management in designing and conducting emergency response exercises.
- Provides expert review of proposals to identify potential hazards or requirements that may directly affect either the conduct of the work or have an impact on Battelle activities or projects.
- Conducts accident/incident investigations and working with management to identify corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Bachelor’s degree health and safety, science, engineering, or closely related discipline; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience that includes health and safety standard concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Experience with performing health and safety inspections.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and an ability to effectively work in a team environment.
- Ability to obtain Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or equivalent certification.
- Solid Industrial Hygiene experience.
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) experience.
- Familiarity with ventilation and fume hood systems.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle's Legal Department.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers