Are you a driven, proactive safety professional that excels in dynamic environments, assessing procedural processes, and partnering with key stakeholders to positively impact business opportunities? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
As a Safety Team member, you would conduct safety training, oversee educational programs, advise leadership, and investigate incidents. Continuously monitor operations looking for areas to minimize risks and create solutions to correct issues as they arise. You will be tasked to promote compliance to ensure that all Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our product brands are produced responsibly
The Associate Safety Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Safety Department in promoting a healthy and safe workplace at the designated facility. These duties will be accomplished by assisting in technical expertise to the plant safety and health teams, supporting safety training on safety and health topics, and encouraging active employee involvement in the safety process.Core Responsibilities
Coordination of Safety Programs
- Obtain overall knowledge, management and implementation of internal safety programs and regulatory compliance associated with our industry including; EIPMS, Workers Compensation, (PSM) Process Safety Management, Ergonomics, Auditing, Incident Investigation, Team and Committees, Budgets, Behavioral Based Safety and 1910 CFR Regulatory Compliance.
Administrative Documentation and Organization
- Ensure training and document is maintained with applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensure supervisory personnel are aware of employee restrictions due to work-related injury or illness.
- Ensure employees are working within those restrictions.
- Participate in accident investigation process.
- Special projects and initiatives to work on independently and present findings to the plant management and/or corporate management as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in a safety or related technical field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Efficient in Microsoft programs and analysis capability
- Good decision making skills and ability to perform in stressful situations.
- Must be able to travel on an occasional basis.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to stand on hard, wet, slippery surfaces for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to kneel, squat, bend and twist in order to perform essential job duties.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to perform job duties on the production floor in wet and/or humid conditions, work in temperatures ranging from -10 to 110 degrees F and in constant noise, exposure to fumes, dust, mechanical, electrical and safety hazards, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electric shock and vibration, and outside weather conditions.
- Noise level in the plant environment is usually loud in the manufacturing and production environments.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits