Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
At Quest, our R&D professionals play an essential role in our success and in the services we provide. As a career, we offer a unique opportunity to develop your career with the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. We are research and development driven, and we’re creating the lab of the future – an environment where you can deliver cutting edge diagnostics and help us drive new discoveries and breakthroughs.
The Associate Science Director is an on-site role based at our Marlborough, MA location.
Associate Science Director, the role:
The Associate Science Director will direct, plan, and manage the work of R&D scientists performing feasibility studies, new product development, and transfer to operations. This professional will review project plans to ensure scientific integrity, consistency with departmental strategy, and achievability of deliverables and dates, and will ensure that development projects are conducted in accordance with business unit’s Design Control Process and compliant with applicable regulatory requirements. The Associate Science Director provides expert advice to management and technical personnel regarding development technologies and activities, as well as hires, trains, and reviews staff performance.
- Directs projects and programs for product development.
- Leads and/or supports product development projects in all phases of the product development process.
- Works with teams to plan and manage new product development projects. Works with senior management to manage projects according to company priorities.
- Evaluates new technologies for possible use in product development.
- Contributes ideas for new products.
- Provides technical input and guidance to project teams and technical staff.
- Reviews and approves development reports.
- Participates in developing and implementing improved standards for new product development and adherence to the Design Control Process.
- Supervises direct reports. This includes interviewing, hiring, training, goal setting, performance evaluation, prioritization of work, salary administration, career development, and compliance with personnel, financial, and safety policies.
- Presents and supports staff in presenting technologies at scientific meetings and customer or partner meetings.
- Ensures that staff is trained in and follow the safety requirements of the company.
To qualify, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- A Ph.D. in a scientific field, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Typically requires at least 10 years of work experience, with at least 4 years of directly relevant experience in a senior technical role related to product development, 3 years of technical management responsibility and a minimum of 3 years of personnel management experience.
- Experience with immunoassays including ELISA and high sensitivity immunoassays
- Previous mammalian cell culture experience and work with cell-based assays
- Experience in a GMP or QSR environment
- Complete and thorough knowledge of all pertinent regulatory and certification requirements
- Broad knowledge of technical aspects of the tests performed and equipment utilized by the departments under supervision
- Ability to develop and/or direct the implementation of new and improved laboratory tests
- Sufficient administrative and management skills to direct, control and plan the activities of departmental staff
- Must be able to lead projects and programs, set standards, and train staff. Experience in managing technical professionals required; with demonstrated supervisory and leadership abilities.
- Ability to develop staff to independently solve technical problems; must act as a lead source of product development knowledge in the business unit.
- Must understand the diagnostics product development process and design controls under FDA Quality System Regulations for medical devices.
Join us for competitive benefits and development opportunities in a progressive and supportive environment. Help us improve our service, and the experiences of our patients and colleagues. Work with us and together we can be better.
Your Quest career. Seek it out.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity or Citizenship.