The Associate Systems Administrator monitors all infrastructure and applications through ticketing and alerting systems and resolves/escalates any issues or trends. This role completes all NOC checks accurately and on time. The Associate Systems Administrator develops a solid understanding of the server/network architecture and everyone's responsibilities within the organization.
This role installs, configures, and maintains organization's network and Windows 20XX-based servers and file storage servers. The position works in a quality service approach within the work area to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction, system integrity, performance and security. The Associate Systems Administrator works in team environment supporting applications development and production systems operations, including backup to database administration, voice, systems administration, and help desk. In addition, this role works with other team members to maintain network and server infrastructure, including routers, switches, network appliances (load balancers, firewalls, etc.), Windows servers and security infrastructure.
- Provides support for production enterprise environments located in Charles Town, West Virginia, and co-location facility, support for our disaster recovery site, and other branch offices.
- Implements, manages, and troubleshoots servers, including backup servers and their operating systems and software.
- Administers and maintains end user accounts, permissions, and access rights.
- Assists with updates, patching, and upgrades to ensure system availability.
- Monitors and measures performance and costs through regular reporting and summaries of the systems including availability, usage and capacity.
- Recommends, schedules, and performs system improvements, upgrades and repairs.
- Anticipates, mitigates, identifies, responds to, and resolves problems affecting server performance, efficiency, and availability.
- Implements new hardware and software projects, providing documentation and procedures based on functionality of the environment.
- Develops and documents instructions and guidelines to perform the functions assigned.
- Performs backup/recovery and archiving.
- Provides backup support to other administrators and engineers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Normal office and data center environment in Charles Town, WV.
- Core coverage hours of support are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm but will be part of the rotating 24x7x365 on call schedule.
- Ability to lift boxes up to fifty pounds (50 lbs.).
- Flexible and agile enough to access tight spaces in telephone closets and around furniture.
- Travel to data centers and branch offices at multiple locations in West Virginia and Virginia required.
- Demonstrated experience with installation, configuration, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, performance tuning and security of MS Servers.
- Ability to work independently or with other team members.
- Ability to mentor tier 1 techs on application issues.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Ability to learn new skills as needed.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with Windows Server 20XX, Active Directory, SharePoint.
- Familiar with routers, switches, firewalls, and other network appliances.
- Ability to be methodical, organized and detail oriented.
- Must be a team player.
- Must be flexible enough to meet the demands of a fluid and changing environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Required Education and Experience:
- Associate degree or Bachelor’s degree in MIS, Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent experience preferred.
- One to three years of experience in a Microsoft/Cisco environment including some exposure to virtualization technologies required.
- Knowledge of Terminal Server/Citrix environments preferred.
- Experience providing end user training preferred.
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within system and network administration required.
- Familiarity with Dell hardware and enterprise storage preferred.
- Certification in MSCE, A+, I-NET+ preferred.
- Certification in CCNP, CCIE, MCP, MCSA, MCSE+I a plus.