Automation Line Operator- Teterboro, New Jersey - Monday-Friday 10PM-6AM- Night Shift
The Automation Line Operator will be responsible for visually monitoring the physical aspects of the automation line to ensure the specimen flow continues to run smoothly without error in order to maintain full production levels. Our Automation Line Operators must respond to any problems or bottlenecks that may occur such as samples tipping over or blockage of the line. If unable to perform equipment repair or maintenance themselves, they will work closely with our Biomedical Engineers and Vendors to resolve these problems.
Automation Line Operators coordinates implementation and operations issues for automated sorting and aliquoting instruments within the Technical Operation department, which may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Daily operation of front end automation instruments [sorters and aliquoters] for all workcycles.
- Supports general specimen flow and delivery to Technical Departments and Manual Technical Operations
- Coordinates communication for the BU with the vendor to identify, document and resolve problems and issues.
- Work in partnership with Specimen Management, Technical, and Biomedical Engineering
- Effectively communicate up and down stream of the specimen flow
- Ensure that all maintenance, hardware and software changes are documented as required
- Complete all Compliance Training for their position within Technical Operations.
- Coordinate National Quality Assurance and College of American Pathologists requirements for Technical Operations [Manual and Automated].
- Know and Understand all Functions of the Department
- May be actively involved in special projects
- Track and report metrics required for monitoring productivity, defects and maintenance including control charts where applicable.
1. Responsible for daily operations of automation.
2. Oversee 5S/Visual Management of automation work cell (including data display, flow management, continuous improvement, etc)
3. Develop and implement Standard Work/Operating Procedures for Technical Support in accordance with Quest Diagnostics guidelines.
4. Reviews Technical Operations Standard Work/Operating Procedure Manual on an annual basis and ensures departmental compliance. Identifies need for revisions and/or additional SOP’s as indicated.
5. Ensures all Laboratory QA/QC documentation is complete and reviewed as required.
6. Ensures integrity of specimens sent to Technical Departments meet the criteria necessary to provide accurate and timely results.
7. Work in a participative manner that actively encourages and supports employee involvement.
8. Disseminate all essential information in a timely manner, using various forms of communication to all departmental staff.
9. Prepare month-end reports.
10. Investigates/resolves and responds effectively in a timely manner to internal and external customer complaints.
11. Oversee and ensure adequate supply inventory for department.
12. Participate in the interviewing and training of new employees.
13. Monitor costs associated with automation operations [parts, service and consumable supplies].
14. Participate on Six Sigma projects and Process Improvement Teams, or other initiatives to meet business unit objectives.
15. Organize and lead projects both within the work group. Meet all deadlines assigned by supervisor. May be required to give presentations within department.
16. Effectively work with Specimen Management, BME staff, and Technical Departments to resolve problems.
17. Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills; is able to manage concerns of internal and external customers in a professional manner.
18. Demonstrates the knowledge and understanding of automated instruments following training.
19. All other duties as assigned.
1. Must be able to adjust schedule to meet business unit requirements, which may include extended hours and/or providing leadership to other shifts as needed and approved
2. Excellent organization, communication and interpersonal skills, and interact effectively with internal and external customers.
3. Work effectively in fast paced environment with multiple priorities
4. Act in a professional manner at all times.
5. Previous automation experience and comfort with automation preferred
Incumbent should possess the knowledge, skills and experience usually obtained by:
1. AA degree or combination of education and/or experience.
2. Three years experience in a clinical laboratory preferred but not required
3. Demonstrated aptitude for operating and trouble shooting highly automated instruments [able to distinguish hardware vs software or combined causes for malfunctions].
4. PC skills, MS Office applications, especially Excel.
5. Medical or production background preferred but not required