Look for more than answers.
Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far-reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
As an Automation Scientist you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you will have the opportunity to collaborate and affect change while expanding your leadership skills and technical knowledge. You can make a real impact in a market that is growing and developing.
The Automation Scientist will work on-site from our Chantilly, VA location.
Automation Scientist, the role:
The Automation Scientist plans, prepares and carries out complex automated programming on a variety of instruments. This can include programming liquid handling instruments from manufacturers such as Hamilton, Tecan, or Perkin Elmer. The Automation Scientist prepares reports and analysis of results as related to product/process development improvement. Activities may be focused individual projects or assignments as a member of a project team. This professional makes solid decisions based on experience, see issues before they arise and can troubleshoot problems with minimum supervision. Strong individual drive is required.
- Develops, plans, and conducts programming and applications maintenance from a variety of biotech instruments. This will include programming liquid handling instruments from manufacturers such as Hamilton, Tecan, or Perkin Elmer.
- Performs applications programming for a variety of different labs for different biochemical and biological assays.
- Reports status of assigned projects through the preparation of detailed reports and documentation that summarize results.
- Works within established parameters on individual assignments, on project teams for longer-term projects and as a technical leader with other team members.
- Identifies problems, investigates alternatives, recommends possible courses of action, and implements as appropriate.
- Maintains knowledge of technological developments that may assist in the completion of an assignment or lead to new products, processes or procedures by reading current literature.
- Effectively utilizes and applies advanced methods or technologies. Contributes ideas for new product development typically within existing markets.
- Responsibilities may include working with infectious materials, supporting and complying with the company hazard waste handling practices.
To qualify, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Biomechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or related scientific discipline. At least 6 years of relevant experience with a Bachelor's degree, 4 years of relevant experience with a Master's degree, or 1-2 years of experience with a Ph.D. degree is preferred.
- Experience with PCR, ELISA, Next Generation Sequencing, DNA/RNA extraction, HPLC, Liquid Chromatography, and Mass Spectrometry is preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of automation applications that leads to a quick perception of programming needs.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as professional journals, operating instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write complete reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts to problem-solving situations.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and
- validity, analysis of variance and correlation techniques.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in a variety of situations.
- Knowledgeable in the use of common laboratory equipment and safe chemical handling.
- Requires a thorough knowledge of related products and technologies gained through developmental experience in an academic or industrial setting. These can include programming liquid handling instruments from manufacturers such as Hamilton, Tecan, or Perkin Elmer.
Join us for competitive benefits and development opportunities in a progressive and supportive environment. Help us improve our service, and the experiences of our patients and colleagues. Work with us and together we can be better.
Your Quest career. Seek it out.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity / Citizenship.