We're seeking a Backend Engineer to join our growing team working for a large US travel nursing company. You'll help us build out a suite of new software products to improve the user experience of healthcare professional job seekers as well as internal users. In this role, you will be responsible for creating large, scalable REST APIs, building robust software applications, and creating services and system architectures for large scalable projects. You will focus on solving problems by contributing to back-end systems and services. Our current front-end tech stack is Typescript and React and our back-end tech stack is Python and Flask, but we always like to make sure we are using the right tools for the job.
Reporting to our Director of Engineering in New York, you'll be a hands-on coder who leverages your previous experience to ensure best practices and offer advice and reviews on architecture, design, and implementation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- These are the functions a qualified incumbent or applicant must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Architecting solutions, building features, creating tools, maintaining code, and writing tests for new and existing products
- Providing technical leadership, code reviews, and mentoring to fellow engineers
- Contributing to the evolution of our tech stack selections to meet business needs
- Work with the product team to understand requirements, formulate use cases, and then translate that into an effective technical solution.
- 3+ years experience as a software engineer/developer
- 2+ years experience with Python web frameworks (e.g., Flask, FastAPI, or Django)
SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS
- Solid understanding of web services - both authoring them in Python and interacting with external RESTful JSON and Soap web services
- Knowledge of SQL relational databases (preferably PostgreSQL), either via an ORM like SQLAlchemy or directly via DBAPI
- Data engineering experience in Python (authoring pipelines or CLI scripts to perform data cleaning, transformation, and storage)
- Understanding of the software development life cycle, including CI/CD and testing best practices
- Ability to read and understand existing codebases as well as work on new projects
- Ideally: exposure to AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure
- Experience with Docker is a plus
Applicants for employment in the US must have valid work authorization that does not now and/or will not in the future require sponsorship of a visa for employment authorization in the US. We are also unable to do C2C.
We are an equal opportunity employer and make hiring decisions based on merit. Recruitment, hiring, training, and job assignments are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, or any other protected classification. We consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.