Look for more than answers.
At Quest, we are on a continuous journey of discovery and development. It’s this attitude that has made us an industry leader and the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. For those joining us, we offer exciting and fast-moving career opportunities where you can affect change at a rate unheard of in many organizations of our size and scope. While we invest in and develop technology to drive our innovations, our ongoing success relies on our people.
As a Bioinformatics/ Computational Biology Staff Scientist you will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you will have the opportunity to collaborate and affect change while expanding your leadership skills and technical knowledge.
The Bioinformatics Staff Scientist will work on-site from our San Juan Capistrano, CA location with possibility for remote work. .
Bioinformatics Staff Scientist – the role
The Bioinformatics Staff Scientist will evaluate, develop, validate, and implement qRT-PCR, standard (Sanger) sequencing and next-generation sequencing (NGS) data analysis technologies, including bioinformatics analysis pipelines, testing/validation scripts, and other tools related to infectious disease diagnostics. This professional will consult on process and technology improvements within R&D, Operations, Quality Assurance and IT departments.
- Participate in resolution of support requests where computational biology tools are used.
- Regularly report progress and prepare data analyses for internal review.
- Exercises technical leadership in devising approaches to meet project objectives.
- Prepares reports and analysis of results as related to product/process development and improvement.
- Guides and mentors other scientists and project team members to accomplish project objectives.
- Devises analytical methods to accomplish project objectives.
- Innovates new techniques and devises novel strategies to better accomplish project goals.
- Reports status of assigned projects through the preparation of reports and documentation that summarize results.
- Interprets results of analyses and recommends alternative analyses.
- Provides leadership in technical decisions affecting product development issues. Identifies problems, investigates alternatives and recommends possible courses of action.
- Works with team members and other Business Unit personnel (R&D, Operations, product transfer, project management, and quality departments) to meet department and project objectives.
- Prepares and/or contributes to articles for publication. Presents information at project meetings, scientific meetings or to customers. Attends technical conferences or seminars.
- Serve as the subject matter expertise in technologies that may assist in the completion of an assignment or lead to new products, processes or procedures.
To qualify, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Requires knowledge and skills normally acquired through the successful completion of an advanced degree (M.S./Ph.D.) in Chemistry, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or related scientific discipline.
- Requires five to seven (5-7) years of relevant experience in an academic or industrial environment with a distinguished record in either an academic or industrial setting, as demonstrated thought publications, patents, or technologies or products developed.
- Two or more years of software development and/or database development experience in a SQL, Linux, and/or HPC environment strongly preferred.
- Hands-on experience analyzing NGS data from one or more NGS technologies is required.
- Experience with latest bioinformatics tools and infectious disease-related bioinformatics databases preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in one or more scripting languages, including Perl, Python and shell scripting is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in SQL and SQL database development is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in working with Docker images and containers strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of R programming language preferred.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis a plus.
- Experience with additional data mining and visualization tools such as Tableau a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Project management and support experience a plus.
Join us for competitive benefits and development opportunities in a progressive and supportive environment. Help us improve our service, and the experiences of our patients and colleagues. Work with us and together we can be better.
Your Quest career. Seek it out.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity / Citizenship.