SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The Controller oversees the businesses accounting and finance operation. Responsible for overall internal financial management, including accounting, budgeting and forecasting, payments and cash management, as well as the development or adherence to the Country/Regional policies and procedures. Ensures company accounting procedures conform to SGS Group Financial Manual. In addition, a business controller is expected to assist operations by partnering with the business which includes capital investments, pricing, net working capital management, and various business plans/initiatives to improve the business financial performance.
- Responsible for development, analysis, and interpretation of statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization.
- Manages Financial team within the Business, hires, trains and coaches employees, conducts annual performance review and motivates the team to achieve set goals.
- Establishes major economic objectives and policies for the company and its branches and departments and prepares reports that outline the company's financial position in the areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and future operations.
- Coordinates and directs the business in preparation of the budget and financial forecasts, institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures (including the cost accounting system), perform inventory of fixed assets and supplies, and analyzes and reports variances
- Delivers quality NAM Finance requirements timely. This includes monthly closing, budgeting and forecasting, and other analytics required by the Region.
- Provides effective financial controls for the organization following the guidelines provided by the Country Controller/Regional Controller.
- Reconciles and maintains account analysis of various company accounts, i.e. claims, bad debts, and submits all analysis timely to the Country Controller/Regional Controller in accordance with the submission/required guidelines.
- Recommends benchmarks for measuring the operating performance of divisions and departments.
- Manages the preparation of the monthly results and monitors and analyzes these results against budget, prior year, forecast, as well as explain fluctuations month to month.
- Prepares financial analysis for contract negotiations and product investment decisions.
- Prepares and maintains documentation to meet internal and external audit requirements.
- Provides information for capital investment justification, analysis and write-up.
- Coordinates timely receipt (monthly) of sales billings, vendor invoices and accruals with the field.
- Coordinates completeness of payroll recording and accrual with the field.
- Assists operations in completing requirements for various sub-ledger activities.
- Communicates with business unit on a regular basis.
- Assists in development of and compliance with company policy and procedures.
- Performs various financial maintenance activities (i.e. bank reconciliations, etc.)
- Performs additional special projects (i.e. including acquisitions, integrations, etc.)
- Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance
- 10+ years of relevant finance and accounting experience, including 3+ years supervisory experience
- Experience in financial/KPI monitoring, with the ability to explain variance to target and implement ‘early warning’ indicator for adverse trends
- Demonstrated background in financial reporting and intimate understanding of GAAP, including a proven track record of supervising day-to-day accounting operations and cash management
- Master’s Degree in Accounting in combination with experience listed above
- Controller experience
- Experience with M&A transactions and purchase Accounting
Licenses / Certifications
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.