SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing, and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
SGS is currently seeking a Food Testing Business Development Manager to join our Elite Sales Team. The BDM position is responsible for profitable revenue growth across all segments of the SGS Food business line to include Microbiology, Chemistry, R&D, and Technical Services within the Midwest region. Client interactions will be anchored in the spirit of establishing strategic long term, mutually beneficial business partnerships and will utilize consultative selling skills. This position is home office based and will require travel, including overnight when needed. The qualified candidate is an aggressive hunter, creative, flexible, and committed to success. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Business Development.
- Create and implement strategic prospecting and territory action plans for review and approval by VP Business Development.
- Establish strong relationships in given territory at various levels with key business and technical contacts.
- Actively participate, orchestrate, and initiate projects and meetings as required to achieve sales goals and brand objectives.
- Meet the required monthly prospect calls and sales visits.
- Meet and exceed quarterly and annual revenue goals for territory.
- Must be able to review monthly sales reports for trends and respond appropriately in a timely manner.
- Responsible for facilitating and owning the Onboarding Process when initiating new accounts.
- Attend food industry trade shows and participate in customer focused marketing plans as directed.
- Manage all aspects of the sales cycle including writing and presenting professional business proposals and assist with RFP/RFQ responses as directed.
- Utilize consultative sales models to understand prospect needs and align with services offered by SGS.
- Maintain client files within CRM documenting meetings, phone calls, emails, opportunities, and the status of the sales cycle and sales opportunities.
- Maintain information on competitors’ strengths, weaknesses, policies, pricing, services, etc. to increase likelihood of winning bid situations.
- Develop and maintain professional selling skills and personal technical expertise relating to food safety and quality programs.
- Must be independent, autonomous, creative, and competitive to win business while maintaining excellent relationships with SGS lab personnel.
- At all times, adopt a safe behavior by exercising due regard for the health and safety of SGS employees and clients.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge and experience of the food testing, food safety and/or food production industries to the business development role.
- Knowledge and experience in laboratory operations is necessary to understand the services being offered to the client.
- Continually educate clients on SGS services.
- Leverage the strengths of the team as needed in the business development process to ensure sound business and science solutions are provided.
- Maintain an approachable, professional, well-spoken and client focused demeanor.
- Meet sales goals as defined in the Job Requirements for the BDM position.
• Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Microbiology or a related field, or equivalent experience
• Working knowledge of food testing laboratories through previous work and/or sales experience
• Strong business skills are needed to proactively address business concerns and identify opportunities throughout the market, seek out and cultivate high-level relationships, and translate customer priorities into product solution.
• Ability to work independently and as a team member
• Ability and willingness to travel 3-4 days per week
• Solid computer skills including MS Outlook, Power Point, Word, Excel, and CRM.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills to allow for efficient and productive use of time and resources; ability to handle multiple projects concurrently
• 3-7 years of technical sales/business development experience
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status a s a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company's rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.