The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
Are you a driven and motivated business management professional who thrives in working in a faced paced environment, collaborating with great teams, sharing new ideas, and diving into analytics to seek out opportunities to grow the business? Then join one of the country’s top consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods! We have built a culture that places enormous value on each individual, our animals, the environment and the communities we all share. Smithfield Foods and the Business Management teams are evolving rapidly and looking for impactful self-starter business management professionals!
As a Business Management Team member, you would assist in managing the profitability of a specific category in our business. Whether it is bacon, ham, fresh pork or another one of our categories you will work cross-functionally with everyone from our sales team to our plant operations to deliver the best product to our customers and consumers.
The Business Manager is responsible for developing the overall plans/programs for a distinct product or brand, or a significant segment thereof. The Business Manager is responsible for a specific category P&L. They assist in the development of new/existing products and markets in order to effectively contribute to the achievement of the company's business and marketing objectives.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
Responsible for meeting overall company price & volume budgets for fiscal year within outlined parameters (% of growth). Volumes must be met within targeted growth. Responsible for managing all pricing activities to maximize profit potential.
Responsible for meeting product group/product line profitability objectives for fiscal year based on specified budget. Responsible for total P&L for a major product group which includes sales volume, sales dollars, cost of goods, gross margin, shuttle and storage expenses, plant variances, direct marketing expenses, net contribution, and profit before taxes.
Primary contact for the Sales team. Communicate product specifications, inventory levels, pricing, costing and lead time requirements. Also responsible for developing strong communication with other functional areas and departments.
Responsible for SKU and Price Management. Negotiates, reviews and approves pricing and trade agreements. Participates and evaluates market research, promotions, public relations and advertising. Attends product reviews to compare the execution of the written specs and gain insight into what drives variances and yield to the standards.
- Considered the category expert over a specific segment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Business or related field and 5+ years’ relevant experience, required.
- 2+ years experience acting as a lead by providing training, guidance or mentoring to less experienced staff or managing processes and projects.
- Must understand the dynamics of the Consumer-Packaged Goods industry.
- Must have a solid understanding of customer focused and fact-based selling techniques; which may include IRI, Neilsen and Perishable Group data.
- Strong quantitative reasoning and ability to proactively dig into data and KPIs.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- SAP experience, preferred.
- May travel up to 30% of the time.
- Provides leadership and guidance to Associate Business Managers.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits