SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
The Analyst I, Chemistry Laboratory LSS under direct supervision conducts routine sample analysis, preparation, extraction, and digestion with and without the use of instrumentation following official methods and laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Builds their knowledge and skills in evaluation of the chemical and physical properties of various organic and inorganic substances for consumer product testing purposes.
Directly reports to Manager, Chemistry Laboratory LSS
Dotted reporting line - none
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Under direct supervision conducts routine analytical studies of samples, preparation, extraction, and digestion with and without the use of instrumentation following official methods and laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and protocols.
• Assists in preparation, submission and filing reports on client sample tests, correlation tests, calibration, validation and other projects.
• Performs routine operation, maintenance, calibration, and trouble-shoots laboratory instruments / equipment.
• May assist / gets exposure to development of the analytical methods, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and other operating, safety and quality documents for method development, transfer, and validation studies.
• Assists with investigation, and preparation of responses to client inquiries.
• Inputs and maintains technical information as needed to support the laboratory functions/operations.
• Maintains Laboratory Notebook.
• Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Supervises others: No
• Has hiring and terminating responsibilities: No
• Number of employees directly reporting to this job: 0 Supervisory Employees, 0 Non-Supervisory Employees
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or related Science discipline
• 0-2 years of years’ relevant experience in Analytical Chemistry Laboratories
• Associate degree in Chemistry or related Science discipline
• 2+ years of experience in Analytical Chemistry Laboratories
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
• General knowledge of Chemistry and routine testing methods and methodologies required
• Language Skills: English - Intermediate level required
• Mathematical Skills: Basic level required
• Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Basic level required
• Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, and Word) - Intermediate user proficiency required
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
• Ability to execute detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions
• Ability to follow directions, ensuring the end results are accurate and completed with the required timeframe
• Strong attention to details required
• Communication and basic organization and time management skills are required
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities
• No travel required. Voluntary travel may be requested for training purposes.
• This job operates in a laboratory environment and routinely uses chemistry instruments and equipment
• This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, printers, and phones
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Physical/Sensory Demands Frequency Requirements:
• Stand – Constantly
• Move or traverse - Constantly
• Sit - Occasionally
• Use hands - Constantly
• Reach with hands and arms - Frequently
• Climb or balance - Occasionally
• Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl - Occasionally
• Talk/hear - Frequently
• Taste/Smell - none
• Lift/carry/push or pull - Frequently
• Lift/carry/push or pull - may have to lift up to 20 pounds
• Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches/50 centimeters or less)
• Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet/6 meters or more)
• Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point)
• Depth perception (three-dimension vision, ability to judge distance and three-dimensional relationships)
• Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus)
• Ability to see color
• Must be able to hear equipment operating, alarms sounding, traffic, telephones
• Safety-Sensitive: Has a high exposure to catastrophic operational incident and has access to operations where failure could result in serious harm to public or employee well-being, Group assets, or the environment.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.