College Intern – Summer 2022 (Undergrad – Advanced Manufacturing Engineer – New Berlin, WI – Motion Drive Products)
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB Drive Products is a technology leader serving industries, infrastructure and machine builders with world-class drives and soft starters. With our products, global scale and local presence, we help our customers to improve energy efficiency, productivity and safety. Our people and culture are the foundation of our success. We all together make the difference for our customers every day.
The role reports to the Advanced Manufacturing Manager and is located in New Berlin, Wisconsin. As a Advanced Manufacturing Engineering Intern, you will be responsible for being a key member of the team to lead and drive projects to improve safety, quality, and productivity of the operations. Depending on the skill and experience of the individual, this role will be able to work across many facets of the production and drive operational improvements in quality, materials, automation/controls, lean/industrial engineering, and data/system. The role scope will depend on the skills, interests of the individual, and fit in within the team and could become the Subject Matter Expert (SME) in one of those areas or work across multiple.
- Safety – Responsible for identifying and improving safety at the site through use of technology, work cell redesign, improved ergonomics, and other means.
- Quality - Responsible for helping to deliver world class quality by assisting or writing work instructions, completing Process failure mode and effects analysis (PFMEAs), setting up First Article Inspection (FA)I/inspection criteria, poke-yoke, error proofing, and managing Engineering Change Notifications (ECNs) and Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPAs) as they arise. Work to ensure compliance and potentially drive improvements to the quality management system.
- Delivery – This role will be responsible for delivering capacity improvements to the operations by identifying and executing kaizens to remove bottlenecks and meet customer demand
- Lean – This role will be looked at to be or become a site expert in lean manufacturing and will execute time studies, balance assembly operations, value stream map, hold barashi events, 3P new production lines or changes, implement poke-yoke, and drive improvements to the material scheduling, delivery, and presentation at the site.
- Project Management – The individual will be responsible for planning and executing multiple projects at the same time and utilize good project management skills by managing risk, understanding critical path and dependencies to meet project goals on time.
- Change Management – This individual will lead change at the site and must work collaboratively with stakeholders, manage phase in / phase out of changes, have robust follow through on changes to ensure success. Be able to see opportunities for improvement, put together a financial business case and project plan to initiate the change.
- Automation – Contribute or depending on skill of individual, lead automation improvements to the facility with implementation of key manufacturing process technologies including but not limited to robotics, vision systems, AGVs, moving lines, and other poke-yoke controls. This may include contractor management, Requirement specification development, or other project management tasks of the change.
- Data Engineering - Contribute or depending on skill of individual, lead changes and projects related to Manufacturing Execution System (MES) system, traceability, production dashboards, or/and on escalation systems at the site.
- GPA 3.0+
- Pursuing degree in Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or related engineering/science field
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Able to work independently and structurally, as a team player and under pressure.
- Knowledgeable in Lean Manufacturing Concepts
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills, self-motivated, customer oriented, multi-tasking, having stress management capability, successful at managing multiple priorities and tasks
- Knowledge of MS Office applications
- Experience in a manufacturing assembly environment as intern or employee in past
- Must be currently authorized to work for ABB in the US
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
ABB in the United States requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or in specific and limited circumstances, be approved for a sincerely held religious belief or a medical/disability accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.