College Intern (MS/PhD) – Machine Learning Grid Application Intern, Raleigh, NC, US Research Center (Summer 2022)
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB’s Electrification Global Markets organization is responsible for the go-to-market strategy and generating profitable growth for the Electrification Business Area. Our 10,000 strong commercial team represents the portfolio of all Electrification Business Area Divisions in over 100 countries. Our unmatched domain expertise across key industry verticals and channels combined with our truly global footprint makes us able to deliver extraordinary business results, supporting our customers with solutions which address their current needs, whilst considering the future emerging trends such as Urbanization, Digitalization and Shift to Electricity and Sustainable Energy.
The role reports to the Research Department Manager and is located in Raleigh, North Carolina.
ABB seeks interns to work at its US Research Center in Raleigh, NC in various areas of research for Summer 2022. You will work with power grid specialists to develop cutting edge research and development related to applying machine learning techniques for distribution grid applications.
- Conduct literature survey and benchmarking to assess the state of art methods for a given problem
- Actively participate in applied research activities in the area of machine learning applications for edge computing environments, resulting in proofs of concept, prototypes, patents, and/or academic publications
- Investigate the application of machine learning for power distribution system/grid applications that satisfies customer requirements for creating value-added services and offerings
- Contribute to the promotion of the application of machine learning concepts within ABB, and develop prototype solutions using digitalization technologies, including the frameworks and analytics libraries
- Debug, test and validate core algorithms in a mockup or full-blown setup
- Currently enrolled in a degree program in the US - PhD or master’s student in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering (PhD preferred)
- GPA 3.0 +
- Must be currently authorized to work for ABB in the US
- Practical knowledge of advanced analytics (machine learning in particular) and corresponding technology stacks (both commercial and open source)
- Familiarity with edge computing technologies and platforms
- Experience in data processing, data collection and cleansing
- Design and implementation experience in multiple platforms and languages e.g. Java, Python, Matlab, C/C++, R
- Experience in data analysis and machine learning tools and frameworks (e.g. Scikit learn, TensorFlow, Theano, Caffe, PyTorch, Pylearn2, etc.)
- Willingness to quickly acquire in-depth knowledge of new technologies and application domains
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently in English
- Background in electricity distribution is a plus
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
ABB in the United States requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or in specific and limited circumstances, be approved for a sincerely held religious belief or a medical/disability accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.