For over 80 years, Segal has been a leader in organizational and human resource consulting. Our clients are employers and plan sponsors of all sizes covering millions of employees in dozens of industries. As an independent privately and employee-owned firm, we have a relentless commitment to the success of our people, clients and company. Our mission is simple: We deliver trusted advice that improves lives. As a part of our team, you will work with colleagues who are smart, professional, experts and...nice. Headquartered in New York, Segal has offices throughout the US and in Canada. We believe that a collaborative and diverse workforce best meets the needs of our business and clients, so we offer competitive pay and benefits that attract the best in our field.
This position is a mid-career position for an lawyer. The lawyer will gain and use extensive experience in both the technical and operational sides of compliance-related issues. The successful candidate will be expected to become a nationally-recognized expert in compliance issues related to group health plans, and will be expected to display commensurate writing, analytical, and presentation skills. Some travel is required to Company offices, industry conferences, and client locations.
- Projects include monitoring federal statutes and regulations applicable to group health plans and drafting summaries;
- Drafting and reviewing participant explanatory material such as summary plan descriptions, announcement letters, summary of material modifications, plan documents, summaries of benefits and coverage, etc., including preparation of company models;
- Researching and drafting memos on technical issues for the Compliance Practice Leader;
- Train and mentor compliance associates and specialists as well as train benefit consultants and clients;
- Participating in marketing and business-development activities;
- Conduct compliance reviews concerning ERISA, Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, Affordable Care Act, and other federal health laws;
- Familiarity with state and local paid leave laws and Family and Medical Leave Act;
- May be required to attend client meetings to make technical compliance-related presentations or other tasks as requested by the National Health Compliance Practice Leader or benefit consultants;
- Make in-house and external presentations on new developments in legislation and regulation or other technical issues.
Candidates for this position should meet the following requirements:
- J.D. is required;
- 5-10 years of experience in compliance including positions in health/employee benefit compliance related roles;
- In-depth knowledge of ERISA and related health legislation and regulations;
- Knowledge of the Public Health Service Act and related health legislation and regulations;
- Knowledge of Medicare, Medicare Part D, and Medicare Advantage Programs, including Employer Group Waiver Plans
- Significant expertise in health care, including regulations of employee benefit plans, Health Insurance Exchanges, Medicare, and Medicaid;
- Familiarity with union environments;
- Excellent communication skills (oral/written);
- Excellent interpersonal/relationship-building skills and ability to collaborate with and positively influence others;
- Ability to quickly and effectively perform research involving federal and state legal issues;
- Employee benefits litigation experience is helpful;
- Experience at the US Departments of Labor, Treasury, or Health and Human Services is helpful.
Diversity and Inclusion at Segal:
At Segal, we are committed to a culture of diversity and inclusiveness, as demonstrated through our recruitment, retention and employee development programs. We maintain an environment that respects and builds on the assets and talents of each person, valuing their differences. We also engage in good faith efforts to maintain an environment free from discrimination and harassment in strict compliance with applicable laws, and consider all qualified candidates for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or medical condition, protected veteran or military status, criminal record history, marital status, or status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We also engage in affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals and protected veterans. Maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce is a win/win, and provides Segal with the opportunity to leverage our top talent to provide innovative solutions to our clients.