For over 80 years, Segal has been a leader in organizational and human resource consulting. Our clients are employers and plan sponsors of all sizes covering millions of employees in dozens of industries. As an independent privately and employee-owned firm, we have a relentless commitment to the success of our people, clients and company. Our mission is simple: We deliver trusted advice that improves lives. As a part of our team, you will work with colleagues who are smart, professional, experts and...nice. Headquartered in New York, Segal has offices throughout the US and in Canada. We believe that a collaborative and diverse workforce best meets the needs of our business and clients, so we offer competitive pay and benefits that attract the best in our field.
We are recruiting for a Consultant to join our Health Compliance practice.
The Opportunity: The Health Compliance Consultant (lawyer) reports to the Deputy Director of the Health Compliance Practice. They will perform as a regulatory expert and Companywide technical resource on health benefit plan design and administration issues. The incumbent has a broad and deep knowledge of health and employee benefit laws, works to keep this knowledge current and available to others, and is widely recognized for their expertise. The health compliance consultant (lawyer) collaborates with benefits consultants and compliance staff members, advising them on the more complex and difficult health compliance issues and problems and recommending concepts and approaches as appropriate to addressing external client health benefit plan needs. The incumbent is an effective communicator (oral/written) with ability to establish rapport with a diverse audience both inside and outside the Company. The health compliance consultant (lawyer) works independently and on teams and consistently produces high quality and timely counsel and work products.
The Role: The Consultant26rsquo;s key responsibilities include but may not be limited to:
- Acts as a technical resource on a national basis, advising benefit consultants and compliance staff members on legal and regulatory compliance matters pertaining to the design and administration of employee health & welfare benefit plans:
- provides advice and counsel regarding the more complex compliance issues and
- drafts, revises and/or reviews complicated and/or technically difficult plan language
and explanatory material.
- Keeps abreast of legislative developments in health and employee benefit laws through on-going research; analyzes the impact of legislation on health & welfare benefit plans and; writes opinions and explanations for dissemination to benefits consultants, compliance staff and clients.
- Assists client project teams to include advising clients and/or a clients26rsquo; legal counsel on health compliance issues and supports new business development efforts.
- With the National Director of Health Compliance and Deputy Director, supports practice-wide technical and professional quality improvement initiatives to include providing quality assurance of health compliance-related Company and professional standards and identifying and addressing systemic needs such as professional staff training and development, process, and work product quality issues.
- Minimum of an Undergraduate Degree. Law degree (preferred).
- Experience working in a law firm, human resources department, health care organization and/or government health service environment.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of health and employee benefit laws to include: Affordable Care Act (ACA), Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Medicare and Medicaid, and Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
- In-depth knowledge of aspects of the Internal Revenue Code affecting health and fringe benefits, including Section 125 and Section 4980H (Employer Shared Responsibility Penalty).
- In-depth understanding of issues related to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, including Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and Section 1557 of the ACA.
- Demonstrated research and analytical experience and skills.
- Demonstrated technical writing experience and skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a service-oriented, collaborative environment.
Diversity and Inclusion at Segal:
At Segal, we are committed to a culture of diversity and inclusiveness, as demonstrated through our recruitment, retention and employee development programs. We maintain an environment that respects and builds on the assets and talents of each person, valuing their differences. We also engage in good faith efforts to maintain an environment free from discrimination and harassment in strict compliance with applicable laws, and consider all qualified candidates for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, national origin, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or medical condition, protected veteran or military status, criminal record history, marital status, or status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We also engage in affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals and protected veterans. Maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce is a win/win, and provides Segal with the opportunity to leverage our top talent to provide innovative solutions to our clients.