Are you looking to take your career from good to great? As an employee of PenFed, every day is an opportunity to thrive, and be part of a team working to ensure our organization is providing world class service to our members, employees, and our communities. We exist to help our members realize their full potential, educate and encourage their dreams, and make every effort to follow our mission and help our members “do better.” Joining PenFed is more than being an employee; it’s about being a part of the PenFed family.
PenFed is hiring a Consumer Credit Risk Manager at our PendFed Plaza McLean, Virginia location. This role will be part of the Credit Risk Management organization, operating in a high-profile and organizationally flat environment. This role will support Second Line of Defense credit risk management for PenFed’s Consumer Loan business, including Direct and Indirect Auto loans, Unsecured Personal Loan and Line of Credit, Point of Sale and Student Loan products. This position will partner with and credibly challenge the Consumer business team on acquisition underwriting strategies/credit policies, as well as provide credit risk monitoring and analytics. This role will evaluate credit programs and peer groups to ensure that key performance indicators are identified, monitored and addressed, and recommend changes in credit policy and operations where needed. Additionally, this role will also support development, forecasting, management and regulatory reporting of key credit risk metrics used for lines of business.
The incumbent will have solid understanding of the inherent risk drivers, historical and potential future performance volatility of consumer lending business, and be able to proactively anticipate and advise changes in risk sentiments into PenFed’s lending practices.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist with conducting independent assessment and provide effective challenge for Consumer Loan acquisition credit strategies/policies.
- Develop loss expectations and risk premium to support new origination profitability measurement and Risk Adjusted Pricing. Apply modeling technics and analytics to evaluate cash flow valuations model-based credit decision framework.
- Monitor consumer lending portfolio credit quality on the ongoing basis to prevent or ameliorate consumer loan losses. Conduct Structured Credit Risk Assessment on consumer lending portfolio.
- Perform business line program deep dive and monitoring on credit policy change to drive credit policy optimization and risk mitigation strategies, inform corporate strategic decisions, enable better member experience and improve efficiencies.
- Drive monitoring and analysis of credit risk for both organic and acquired portfolio, prepare related management / Board reporting package and provide insights on root causes, emerging credit trends and implications on Allowance for Loan Losses.
- Perform credit risk monitoring and prepare management reporting on both organic and acquired portfolio to analyze risk trend and identify root cause, including originations volume / quality, portfolio risk migration and performance, industry risk benchmarking and auto vs. manual underwriting performance and exceptions. Ensure adequate level of loss provision and analyze actual vs. forecast variance by using portfolio risk monitoring.
- Develop and present strong, well-communicated analysis and business cases.
- Provide risk analytics to support credit or new product expansion. Support ad-hoc analyses or projects as needed.
- Work closely with internal enterprise data team and external vendor to ensure accuracy of consumer lending credit data. Identify required data and work with data stewards to understand data source, ensure data quality and retrieve data on a timely basis.
- Contribute to credit database designs.
- Maintain strong working knowledge of consumer lending related regulations to ensure compliance. Remain abreast of financial regulatory developments in credit risk management and best practices within the industry.
- Partner with key stakeholders in various groups (Business Lines, Compliance, Operations, Finance / Credit Risk Modeling, and Enterprise Risk Management) to identify areas of opportunity and spearhead initiatives in order to enable profitable growth while
- Minimizing credit risk exposure and adapting to changing economic and regulatory environment.
- Serve as mentor to analysts by training and assisting in the development of skills.
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics, Quantitative Discipline or Equivalent, Finance is required. MBA or Master’s Degree in the related field is highly preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in credit strategy, credit policy & analysis or credit risk management in financial services industry.
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ of relevant experience and experience in Consumer Lending products or Economic Capital allocation.
- Strong skills in various data analysis and visualization tools including SQL, Tableau, Excel and PowerPoint are required. Proficiency with statistical tools (SAS, R) and analysis is preferred.
- Proven project management skills, ability to manage multiple projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and presentation skills required.
- Self-motivated and strong interpersonal skills in order to actively lead and implement ideas in a cross-functional team environment.
This position will not supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
There are no additional certifications required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and be on-call may be required.
Special Message Regarding COVID 19
PenFed is continuing to hire and train exceptional individuals to help us serve our 2 million members both here and around the world. In light of the current situation with novel coronavirus (COVID-19), we have modified our hiring, onboarding, training, and deployment protocols in order to comply with current local and state guidance around social distancing.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 2 million members and over $26 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico and Okinawa. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 240-224-4256.