Department Marketing Statement
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (Metro) is building a state-of-the-art cybersecurity program to better protect the critical transit infrastructure supporting our nation’s capital. The Cybersecurity Analyst III (Purple) role reports to the Program Lead, Cybersecurity Purple Team for purple team engagements. The Cybersecurity Analyst III (CAIII) will support the engagements of a wide range of Purple Team testing; including network penetration, web and mobile application testing, source code reviews, threat analysis, wireless network assessments, social-engineering testing, and IDS/IPS/HIDS/HIPS evasion techniques; develop comprehensive and accurate reports and presentations for both technical and executive audiences; effectively communicate findings and strategy to Program Lead and technical staff; facilitate recommendations to correct vulnerabilities found; safely utilize attacker tools, tactics, and procedures for IT, OT, SCADA and sensitive environments; engage in simulation of techniques to defend against eminent threats of the organization. The CAIII shall partner with threat intelligence, monitoring, analytics and incident response personnel as a part of a holistic fusion program.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Four (4) years of experience as a cybersecurity officer/engineer, information systems security officer, or specialized expertise in cyber policy, intelligence, analytics, budget, audit, metrics, or training such that it meets the specific role posted
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Cybersecurity or a related technical field
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Cybersecurity Analyst III is responsible for identifying and remediating security threats. The analyst designs defensive measures and monitor information collected from a variety of sources to identify, analyze, and report events that occur or might occur within the network to protect information, information systems and networks from threats.
- Provides senior level support regarding data analytics strategies based on the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Cybersecurity Framework. This includes analyzing threat information from multiple sources, disciplines, and agencies across the Intelligence Community; Synthesizing and placing intelligence information in context; draws insights about the possible implications. Ensures threats and vulnerabilities are identified as early as possible and mitigated.
- Provides senior level support regarding the development of cyber threat indicators (attacks and compromise) monitoring to maintain awareness of the status of the highly dynamic operating environment; Coordinates and performs the collection, processing, analysis, and dissemination of cyber threat/warning assessments. Ensure vulnerabilities are identified as early as possible and mitigated.
- Provides senior level support regarding the intelligence of data collected from a variety of cyber defense tools (e.g., IDS alerts, firewalls, network traffic logs) to analyze events that occur within the WMATA's environments (on-premises and cloud) for the purposes of mitigating threats. Ensure vulnerabilities are identified as early as possible and mitigated.
- Senior level support regarding the development of assessment plans and measures of performance and/or effectiveness. Conducts strategic and operational effectiveness assessments as required for cyber events. Determines whether systems performed as expected and provides input to the determination of operational effectiveness. Ensures WMATA has a properly managed cyber analysis framework.
- Provides senior level support regarding the assimilation of data and information from analytics and intelligence to support the creation of dashboards which inform senior leaders regarding the security posture of the organization. Generates routine and urgent reports and action plans to support enhanced security procedures and response measures to ongoing or imminent threats. Ensures Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) has a properly managed and reportable cyber threat intelligence awareness program.
- Provides senior level support regarding the analysis of defensive and simulated offensive results, techniques used, and information collected from a variety of sources to identify, analyze, and report events that occur or might occur within the network to protect information, information systems, and networks from threats. Ensures vulnerabilities are identified as early as possible and mitigated.
- Provides senior level support regarding the response to routine and urgent cybersecurity situations within the pertinent domain to mitigate immediate and potential cyber threats. Uses mitigation, preparedness, and response and recovery approaches, as needed, to maximize safety, preservation of property, and information security. Investigates and analyzes all relevant incident response activities. To ensure real-time cyber defense incident handling (e.g., forensic collections, intrusion correlation and tracking, threat analysis, and direct system remediation) tasks to support deployable Incident Response Teams (IRTs).
- Provides senior level support regarding incident response support functions through technical activities that gather evidence on criminal or foreign intelligence entities to mitigate possible or real-time threats, protect against insider threats, sabotage, international terrorist activities, or to support other intelligence activities. Investigates, analyzes, and responds to cyber incidents within the network environment or enclave. Ensures the organization can respond to attacks quickly and eliminate threats.
- Provides senior level support regarding the consultation for the support program to establish relationships, between the incident response team and other groups, both internal (e.g., legal department) and external (e.g., law enforcement agencies, vendors, public relations professionals). Ensures the organization can respond to attacks quickly and eliminate threats.
- Provides senior level support regarding the process to apply tactics, techniques, and procedures for a full range of investigative tools and processes to include, but not limited to, interviews, cyber surveillance, counter surveillance, and surveillance detection, and appropriately balances the benefits of intelligence gathering. Ensures vulnerabilities are identified as early as possible and mitigated.
- Provides senior level support regarding the activities to produce timely, fused, all-source cyber operations intelligence and/or indications and warnings intelligence products (e.g., threat assessments, briefings, intelligence studies, country studies). Analyzes collected information to identify vulnerabilities and potential for exploitation. To ensure the reporting of all cyber events/activity are presented in a timely and actionable media; relevant to cyber intelligence and security best practices.
- Provides senior level support regarding detailed intelligence plans to satisfy cyber operations requirements. Collaborates with cyber operations planners to identify, validate, and impose requirements for collection and analysis. Participates in targeting selection, validation, synchronization, and execution of cyber actions. Synchronizes intelligence activities to support organization objectives in cyberspace. To ensure the reporting of all cyber events/activity are presented in a timely and actionable media; relevant to cyber intelligence and security best practices.
- Provides senior level support regarding the monitoring of all defensive measures and information collected from a variety of sources to identify, analyze, and report events that occur or might occur within the network to protect information, information systems, and networks from internal and external threats. Takes appropriate action by reporting, remediating and/or providing preventive recommendations being the liaison between the security engineering and authorizing official (as needed). To ensure the analysis of the information (data) from various sources within the enterprise and recognize a possible security violation or threat.
- Provides senior level support regarding the analysis to identify, collect, examine, and preserve evidence using controlled and documented analytical and investigative techniques. The analysis of digital evidence and investigates computer security incidents to derive useful information in support of system/network vulnerability mitigation. To ensure forensically sound collection of images and inspect to discern possible mitigation/remediation on enterprise systems.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.