Position: Cytogenetic Technologist I
Location: Shelton, Connecticut
Schedule: Monday to Friday 8am-430pm
- If job assignment includes tissue culture: Using SOPs, accurately and efficiently performs tissue culture of assigned specimen types, including culture initiation, maintenance, and harvest. Also performs slide preparation and staining for microscopic analysis.
- If job assignment includes microscopic analysis: Performs accurate microscopic/post-microscopic analyses of assigned specimen types meeting or exceeding established productivity standards, applying additional staining/testing procedures when indicated, and preparing karyotypes using established cytogenetics laboratory procedures.
- If job assignment includes fluorescence in situ hybridization: Using SOPs, accurately and efficiently processes assigned specimen types, including slide preparation, pretreatment, hybridization, post wash, and counterstain for microscopic analysis using appropriate quality control standards.
- Performs accurate microscopic/post-microscopic analyses of assigned specimen types meeting or exceeding established productivity and quality control standards.
- Documents and maintains tissue culture and/or microscopy analysis records completely and accurately.
- Documents chromosome or FISH abnormalities using correct ISCN nomenclature and best assessment of breakpoints.
- Ensures accurate specimen processing/test results by strict adherence to testing methodology and quality standards.
- Possesses appropriate computer skills (CAPS, Tandem, etc) to accomplish tasks.
- Participates in quality assurance, quality control, and quality improvement programs.
- Participates in training of technologists and other laboratory personnel, including visiting students and fellows, as needed. Participates in reviewing training checklists to reflect current laboratory procedures.
- Attends departmental meetings as required and participates in the department's continuing education program.
- Maintains laboratory areas and equipment in a safe, functional, and sanitary condition.
- Adheres to all established laboratory safety requirements.
- Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by competent authority.
- BS/BA or related degree in science Foreign educated candidates must provide a detailed credential evaluation from IERF (International Education Research Foundation).
- United States educated candidates must provide a detailed original transcript.
- One year of previous experience in a clinical cytogenetics laboratory
- One year of Chromosome or FISH analysis experience
- Microscopic analysis requires extended periods sitting at a microscope.
- Tissue culture requires extended periods of standing, sitting at a biohazard hood, or pipetting.
- Sound theoretical and operational knowledge of job assignment(s) in cytogenetics.
- Proven problem solving skills for job assignment(s).
- The ability to effectively plan, organize, and complete work assignments.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with supervisors, co-workers and clients.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.