The Senior Director, Cytogenetics, reports to the licensed Medical Director or Chief Director and is responsible for providing technical interpretation of results and signing reports; implementing new assays, assay troubleshooting, acting as a technical consultant to operations staff and participation in QA responsibilities, and reviewing SOPs. Assumes Clinical Consultant or Technical Supervisor responsibilities as assigned by the Medical Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Utilizing laboratory procedures, diagnoses from body tissue, fluids, secretions, and other specimens, the presence and stage of diseases. Reviews, interprets and documents clinical test result within established turnaround times.
2. Due to the importance of quality patient care, servicing consultation requests of all types in considered imperative.
3. Attendance at National meetings in area of assigned expertise to maintain/build knowledge and to provide representation for Quest Diagnostics.
Assists the delegate Clinical Consultant or Technical Supervisor in the responsibilities in Cytogenetics Specialty as delegated by the “Laboratory Director Responsibilities” Policy:
1. Collaborates in reviewing test method selection and validation.
2. Collaborates in ensuring that the proficiency-testing program is conducted in a timely manner, reviewed by appropriate staff, and approve of corrective action when a proficiency testing result is found to be unsatisfactory.
3. Collaborates in monitoring quality control to ensure that acceptable levels of analytical performance are maintained for each test system. Ensure that patient test results are reported only when the system is functioning properly.
4. Collaborates in corrective action and preventative action plans and procedures.
5. Collaborates in the annual review of Standard Operating Procedures for test systems.
6. Collaborates in review of report format for appropriateness of clinical information communicated in areas of assigned expertise. Collaborates in review of interpretative reporting comments as needed.
Supervision Exercised: N/A
•MD degree or Ph.D. degree, or equivalent.
•At least 3 years related experience.
•NGS experience, particularly with exome sequencing is preferred.
•Experience with high-throughput laboratory automation is a plus.
•Highly developed verbal and written communication skills.
•Demonstrated good decision-making and organizational skills.
•The capability of being continuously updated in literature with regard to its medical applications.
Technical Training and Professional Licensing
•Board eligibility in the appropriate genetic subspecialty (Clinical Cytogenetics and Genomics) by the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics, or equivalent.
•Any appropriate State DOH personnel license/eligibility as required by the Clinical Cytogenetics Specialty.At least three years of practical doctoral experience in a clinical cytogenetics laboratory.
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity.