Our Architecture & Design Department delivers truly exceptional properties that delight our guests, reward our partners, and reflect the unique cultures of their geographical locations. With design and construction professionals across 16 locations, we have the advantages of a global presence as well as the benefits of local resources, skills, and expertise.
What will I be doing?
As the Design Manager of Full Service, you will oversee projects for the Full Service Brand portfolio with main focus being on the DoubleTree brand as well as support for other full service brands. You will work closely with the Vice President of Global Design Services on strategic portfolio growth initiatives and refinement of design within the portfolio of properties. You will Collaborate with Brand, Development and Technical Services Teams to create and maintain GDS Design Initiatives, Brand Narratives and Design and Construction Standards.
You will lead project evaluations in the North American Region (USA & Canada). Your evaluations are critical for design, brand and technical reviews to achieve Global Design Services (GDS) approvals for conversion, renovation and newly constructed properties. You will build positive partnerships with both internal and third party business partners such as owners, developers and design consultants to promote our dynamic approach relative to planning and operational efficiencies. Additionally, you will provide recommendations to improve the value of the hotel asset through elevated design while staying mindful of budget and schedule.
- Generate project evaluation protocols, including the development of program, planning and design review due-diligence initiatives. This includes providing mentorship to key partners that include internal brand and development teams, owners, design consultants, and architects.
- Optimize the quality of the guests' experience and overall performance of the property. Optimization will encompass site and desktop evaluations.
- Document Review; review drawing and specification submittals for compliance with GDS and brand standards and compose written recommendations or approvals for internal and external publication.
- Assist with providing guidance to the consultants of Managed/Franchised hotel owners and hotel GMs through the process of online project registration, design submittals (both electronic and physical), issuance of design review documents, design re-submittals and eventual issuance of formal design approval letter.
- Project and Document Tracking; receive digital and hard copy submittals and execute the process of accurate log maintenance, design review, and safe record storage.
- Track active projects to insure we are ahead of the curve, monitoring the progress of incoming and ongoing design projects.
- Assist in the communications and follow-up with Brand Management teams to resolve outstanding issues.
- GDS Direct Support: assist with the evolution and maintenance of the Brand Narrative, D&C Standards, Key Brand Attributes, specific design initiatives, communication tools and website.
- Evaluate and make recommendations for GDS effectiveness and efficiencies.
- Assist and maintain the design website in coordination with the external webhost company, including the evaluation of functionality, effectiveness and user-friendly interface. Help develop content materials and tools for ongoing site improvement.
- Presentation Support; assist with presentation preparations to senior executives and outside constituencies.
- Strive to be knowledgeable of our industry and remain current regarding design trends and products relative to brand growth, as a basis to maintain innovative design criteria.
- Concerted effort to tour recently completed Hilton and non-Hilton properties both locally and as travel warrants.
- Attend professional and/or community events to represent Hilton, always being mindful of career development and learning opportunities.
- Lead meetings in person or on conference calls with seasoned industry professionals including Owners, hotel Operators, Architects, Interior Designers, Engineers, Purchasing Agents and Construction Managers.
What are we looking for?
We believe the success in this role will demonstrate itself through the following attributes and skills:
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to handle details through to completion and ensure project objectives are met
- Ability to communicate graphically by developing diagrams and loose hand sketches
- Creative thinkers, who strive to gain the latest knowledge of the hospitality industry, especially in relation to discovering groundbreaking designs
- Collaborative teammate, who grow in an interdependent work-culture
To fulfill this role successfully, you must possess the following minimum qualifications and experience:
- Five (5) years of experience in a professional environment
- Three (3) years of experience working within the Hospitality Design Industry within the Full Service sector
- Two (2) years Design Supervisory Experience
It would be advantageous in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- Six (6) years of experience working in a professional environment
- Five (5) years of experience working in the Hospitality Design Industry, within the Full Service and Luxury Sector
- Two (2) years project management experience
- Current Licensed Architect
- Current Registered Interior Designer
- Experience with Adobe Suite (Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
- Prior work with Sketch-up, AutoCAD or other 3D visualization software
- General knowledge of accessibility, building codes and technical requirements as it relates to hospitality architecture
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!