Responsible for DM instruction, documentation and follow-up on patients identified through physician referral. Conducts quality and effective diabetes self-management education program classes. Accountable for ongoing evaluation of program, performance improvements, physician and patient phone calls/correspondence. Primarily responsible for out-patient appointments. Develops, implements, and evaluates community educational events. Participates in community diabetes screenings. Maintains AADE Recognition Program status.
- Provides outpatient diabetes self-management & nutritional instruction consistent with program content and AADE guidelines. Conducts self-management classes conducive to learning with satisfactory or better evaluations.
- Performs patient DM or nutritional instruction per physician orders. Instructs according to age specific guidelines & medical condition. Provides family support & education PRN. Refers to self-management classes when appropriate.
- Documents and evaluates the teaching and learning process in the electronic health record. Provides professional and timely info to MD regarding patient progress/status. Maintains/supports AADE Recognition Program status.
- Develops implements and participates in community diabetes and educational programs. Evaluates effectiveness of community outreach events. Assists with diabetes education in-service for nursing staff/physicians.
- Participates in multidisciplinary meetings with the Diabetes Advisory Board committee and other healthcare professionals involved in the care of diabetes patients. Represents and promotes Trinity Mother Frances Hospitals and Clinics.
- Provides input and assists with the planning of the Wisenbaker Diabetes Center's services.
- Facilitates participant access to Wisenbaker Diabetes Center services. Strives for highest standards of productivity and quality instruction.
- Participates in intra/interdepartmental team collaboration conducive to a quality educational and patient care program. Works effectively/ cooperatively with other TMFHC employees and departments.
- Registered Dietitian or Licensed Dietitian.
- Group presentation skills for teaching
- Familiarity with AADE guidelines and Diabetes Recognition Program protocol.
- Knowledge of Type1, Type2, and gestational diabetes management
- Exposure to teaching patients in MD office or hospital
- 1-3 years direct teaching diabetic patients or teaching medical nutrition therapy in adult and pediatric populations preferred.
C. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications
- R.D., L.D.,RN required
- BLS certification from American Heart Association