The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Director of Clinical Education ensures the availability of clinical sites for the educational experience of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography students. It is the responsibility of the Director of Clinical Education to prepare the students for their clinical experience with lab practice, classroom lectures and scheduling of physicals, background checks and/or drug testing required for clinical placement.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Secure new clinical affiliation agreements (contracts) as required by the program.
- Maintain affiliation agreements and ensure timely renewals of expiring contracts.
- Develop, monitor, and refine the clinical education component of the curriculum.
- Coordinate clinical education with didactic education as assigned by the program director and schedule students in appropriate clinical rotations.
- Evaluate and ensure the appropriateness/effectiveness of all clinical education affiliates.
- Ensure that all requirements for clinical education in the program are met by every student.
- Review and maintain students’ records related to immunizations, background checks and drug testing to assure compliance with Concorde and individual affiliate requirements prior to placing students at clinical sites.
- Orient and train clinical instructors and/or preceptors at clinical sites.
- Visit clinical affiliates at regular intervals to ensure that students meet clinical objectives.
- Function as Instructor of Record for all clinical courses.
- Maintain supervisory responsibility of all students attending a clinical site.
- Serve as Instructor of Record or assist with instruction in didactic/laboratory courses as assigned and within accreditor guidelines
- Ensure proper and complete documentation of all visits to clinical sites.
- Attend all local ARDMS or AIUM societies and other Diagnostic Medical Sonographer community functions when not conflicting with school duties.
- Attend all program graduation ceremonies.
- Be available in person, by phone or other methods of communication to solve problems as they arise at any time a student is in clinic.
- Ensure that clinical documentation is complete, accurate and maintained securely as directed by the Program Director.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Minimum credentials of Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) with specialty certifications in both OB/Gyn & Abdominal and Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT)
- Equivalent of four years full-time professional experience as a general sonographer, cardiac sonographer, pediatric cardiac sonographer and/or vascular technologist. Full-time is defined as a minimum of 35 hours per week
- Proficiency in teaching methodology, supervision, instruction, evaluation, and guidance
- Preferred experience with educating students in a clinical setting
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Director of Clinical Education is responsible for the supervision of the students in his/her classroom and the students at the clinical sites/laboratory. The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Director of Clinical Education is responsible for scheduling and supervising the clinical instructors so that the clinical students are all seen as required by the program. In the absence of the Program Director, the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Director of Clinical Education assumes the Program Director’s duties and responsibilities.
The clinical coordinator(s) must be responsible for coordinating clinical education with didactic education as assigned by the program director. The clinical coordinator must evaluate and ensure the effectiveness of the clinical affiliate/clinical education centers. The clinical coordinator's responsibilities must include coordination, instruction, and evaluation. The responsibilities of the clinical coordinator must not be adversely affected by educationally unrelated functions. (JRC-DMS)
The clinical coordinator should document experience as a clinical or didactic instructor in a general sonography, cardiac sonography, pediatric sonography and/or vascular technology program. The instructor experience may have been attained concurrently with the professional experience requirement. (JRC-DMS)