Senior Director – Medical Technology, Quality and Innovation
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” Quest Diagnostics is the world's leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. They are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
With corporate headquarters in Secaucus, NJ, Quest Diagnostics is a Fortune 500 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: DGX) and included in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. With 2020 revenues of $9.44 Billion and approximately 50,000 employees and 6,600 patient locations across the US, Quest Diagnostics serves half of the physicians and hospitals in the US with their large variety of products and services.
The company offers the broadest access to diagnostic testing services through its network of laboratories and patient service centers and provides interpretive consultation through its extensive medical and scientific staff. Quest Diagnostics also provides services to employers, life insurance companies, other commercial labs, clinics, health plans, government agencies, and organizations involved in clinical trials research.
Approximately 150 million times each year, patients and their physicians rely upon Quest Diagnostics results to make important healthcare decisions and approximately one third of U.S. physicians – and many of the country’s leading hospitals and health systems – relies on Quest Diagnostics healthcare information solutions to foster better patient care and outcomes.
• FORTUNE magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" list for 7 consecutive years; one of only five companies to attain Most Admired status in the "Health Care, Pharmacy and Other Services" industry category.
• Fortune magazine’s Fortune 500 list
• Forbes® Global 2000
• Forbes®' America's Best Employers List for third consecutive year
• Forbes® 2020 America’s Best Employers for Women for second consecutive year
• S&P 500
• Barron’s 500
• Member of the Dow Jones® Sustainability World Index
• Included in the FTSE4Good, Calvert, and Ocean Tomo sustainability indices
• Listed in the most recent Newsweek Green Rankings
• Consistently named one of the best places to work in U.S. business journal rankings
• Named a DiversityInc Noteworthy Company for third consecutive year
• Listed on the Disability Equality Index® (DEI), a joint initiative of the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network (USBLN), recognizing companies for prioritizing the inclusion of people with disabilities
• Named Top 23 ‘Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality’ in New Jersey
• Named a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality by scoring a perfect 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2021 Corporate Equality Index (CEI) for the fifth consecutive year
• Achieved Cancer Gold Standard accreditation from the CEO Roundtable on Cancer, recognizing our actions to reduce the cancer risk of employees and their families
• Received C. Everett Koop National Health Award for Efforts to Promote Employee Health in 2020
Diagnostic Testing Services
Quest Diagnostics is the world’s leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that patients and doctors need to make better healthcare decisions. Their services range from routine blood tests — such as total cholesterol, Pap testing and white blood cell count — to complex, gene-based and molecular testing. They perform medical tests that aid in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, measure the progress or recovery from a disease or confirm that an individual is free from disease. In addition, they have specialized expertise in cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, and neurology.
In the $60 Billion and growing US Diagnostic Testing Market, Quest Diagnostics is the leader. Quest Diagnostics’ reputation as a leading innovator, provider of high value, low cost solutions and its financial strength and flexibility make it well positioned to capitalize on the evolving healthcare landscape.
Quest Diagnostics’ long-term strategy is to become the undisputed world leader in diagnostic testing, information and services. To drive this profitable growth, Quest Diagnostics plans to leverage capabilities to create differentiation:
• Deliver Innovative Solutions
• Leverage their Unparalleled Access and Distribution Network
• Expand their relationships with large payors and health systems
• Deliver Superior Patient Experiences
This position will lead multi-year programs driving scientific innovation, technological advances, and medical quality program development and implementation that yield operational and/or quality improvements across regional and esoteric laboratories. This position will also work closely with the Sr. Medical Director of Medical Quality and Vice Presidents of R&D.
• Support medical and operational leaders in designing and implementing strategic roadmaps in medical technology and testing innovation
• Value Engineering: drive scientific innovation that results in operational improvements, including lower cost of testing, improved turnaround time, faster speed to market, and reduced errors
• Technology Roadmap: R&D technology innovation program to identify and develop new methods or tools to drive step-change advancements in laboratory medicine across our disease and technology areas
• Digitization of Medical Quality: digitization of lab processes that result in significant gains in quality and productivity; digitization and automation of quality management activities that compile quality data for analysis, proactively identify issues, and/or streamline quality management processes
• National Medical Quality Initiatives: drive implementation of medical quality improvement programs across all labs and units at Quest Diagnostics
• Garner and prioritize ideas, including pain points, opportunities for improvement, and best practices, in structured and systematic manner in order to develop and refine the pipeline
o Top-down ideas from market research and industry intelligence
o Bottom-up, grass-root ideas from scientific, operational, and other medical leaders
• Manage a large portfolio of projects and monitor their progress, performance metrics, roadblocks, and next steps
• Scale and replicate medical innovation nationally across labs
• Lead individual projects and working teams to effectively initiate, plan, execute, monitor, and close projects
• Work collaboratively with Medical, Operations, IT, and Finance to execute against the portfolio of inter-related projects
• Deep knowledge of clinical laboratory testing technology and operations
• Demonstrated experience leading programs across multiple strategies and workstreams (6 to 8 years experience)
• Demonstrated data analysis skills (e.g., for opportunity sizing)
• Effective written and verbal communication skills across multiple formats: formal presentations, meetings, conference calls, e-mails, and memos
• Demonstrated ability to develop strong relationships with others
• Demonstrated experience leading changes
• Demonstrated ability to influence business leaders
• Demonstrated experience in continuous improvement and process management
• Bachelors degree required
• Formal training in project management or continuous improvement methodologies (e.g., Six Sigma, Total Quality Management, Lean, Theory of Constraints) desired
Skills and Behaviors Critical for Success in the Role
• Problem solving skills
• Verbal communication skills
• Written communication skills
• Interpersonal skills
• Decision making skills
• Planning and organization skills
• Negotiation skills
• Able to learn new concepts rapidly
• Able to work independently with little supervision
• 0-25% travel expected (expectations shown are targeted ranges; actual travel required will vary by project and can exceed or go below targeted amounts)
• Some evening work hours may be required, depending on project needs
Please Log In or Register to Upload a Resume and complete the online Application by visiting careers.questdiagnostics.com, clicking “Job Search” and following the prompts. Because of the large number of applicants to job openings, Quest Diagnostics will only contact qualified candidates for interviews.
Quest Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.