With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
Summary of Role
This role is responsible, on a global basis, for commercial stage licensing activities for the Seqirus portfolio.This includes leading cross-functional, global and regional diligence and deal teams, and negotiating licence and distribution agreements aligned with Seqirus’ strategic objectives.Commercial stage is late clinical development and beyond.
Leadership of search and evaluation activities for the Seqirus commercial portfolio with a focus on influenza vaccines and other therapeutic areas that are adjacent to influenza vaccines.
Develop strategies for potential external opportunities, internal projects and for technologies to drive strategically-aligned business growth
- Provide licensing and strategic guidance during the new product evaluation process
- Represent Seqirus at medical and industry meetings aligned with Seqirus’ commercial growth strategy.
- Lead the continued evolution and implementation of Seqirus’ strategic plan for commercial development of the business, developing strategies, priorities, and action plans and present to senior leadership for their endorsement.
- Oversee and lead the evaluation of strategic business opportunities for Seqirus commercial of connections in the biopharmaceutical and venture capital (VC) communities
Lead due diligence efforts
- Lead senior, global and regional cross-functional diligence teams, defining, framing and tracking due diligence activities to answer critical questions for specified commercial BD opportunities
- Work with global functions to ensure due diligence and deal teams are appropriately staffed with high quality team members with the relevant expertise from around the global organisation
- Present or coordinate presentation to senior executive teams of key findings and recommendations that emerge from diligence findings
Lead licensing and distribution agreement negotiations
- Manage and lead agreement drafting, negotiation, and deal closure, on a global and regional basis for Seqirus’ commercial licensing activities and for other areas as allocated by the ED, Head of Global Business Development.
- Develop deal valuations, term sheets, deal structures and overall strategies to maximise value for Seqirus and to fit with strategic needs
- Lead in-licensing of new product opportunities and technologies and out-licensing / partnering of Seqirus commercial projects / technologies that require a partner or distributor
Accountability for financial modelling output to support deal valuation
- Provide or coordinate robust and validated modelling assumptions to support the deal valuation, and ensure alignment with relevant functional areas such as Research, Clinical, IP, Commercial and Finance
- Challenge and validate modelling assumptions provided by the functions
- Presentation of compelling strategic business cases to senior management for approval
In collaboration with the Seqirus Innovation Team, drive external innovation initiatives to expand Seqirus’ research network
- Develop and implement partnership frameworks to position Seqirus as a preferred partner
- Advocate and promote the role of licensing and demonstrate the value-add to internal stakeholders
Bachelor degree in business/accounting/finance; MBA preferred
- 10+ years' of business development and licensing experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
- Ability to think strategically and from a global perspective
- Ability to lead cross-functional global project teams and be a productive member of multi-functional teams, with focus on outcomes
- Ability to concurrently manage multiple projects
- Strong business acumen and understanding of the business and its strategy and processes. Sound scientific understanding of the drug development process
- Excellent knowledge, experience and a track record in negotiating agreements, including deal structuring
- Tolerance of ambiguity and the ability to adapt quickly and flexibly to changing role requirements
- Ability to understand and interpret complex data and situations
- Strong team leader and team player with a focus on outcomes
- Strong analytical skills, and ability to undertake, manage or direct financial modelling and project and deal valuation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and strong presentation skills