Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield, Eckrich ®, Nathan's Famous ®, Farmland ®, Armour ®, Farmer John ®, Kretschmar ®, John Morrell ®, Cook's ®, Gwaltney ®, Carando ®, Margherita ®, Curly's ®, Healthy Ones ®, Morliny ®, Krakus ® and Berlinki ®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs.
The Director of Business Development Mergers and Acquisitions is responsible for designing, developing, and executing in support of Smithfield’s emerging business development plan. This position will proactively identify the relationships and opportunities that are necessary to drive aggressive M&A efforts and strategic initiatives. It is responsible for leading a wide range of mission-critical and strategic M&A transactions, including future, active and past M&A activity, from valuations, due diligence, financial data and contacts.Core Responsibilities
- Identify and assess both market opportunity and strategic fit with Smithfield, effectively executing on those opportunities.
- Create strategic plans to develop opportunities and assign appropriate timelines. Forecast potential revenues to the business.
- Manage the company’s 5-year strategic plan, including updates and periodic measurement.
- Research, identify, and leverage opportunities for partnerships, joint ventures and acquisitions.
- Develop transformation plan to drive proposed changes and identify key risks and mitigation strategies
- Mange the organization and tracking of all VC, start-up, and University collaboration.
- Collaborate with all groups within Smithfield on M&A, VC, start-up, and University activity.
- Build a pipeline with potential partnering prospects, understand industry needs and opportunities, and identify, negotiate, and manage strategic partnerships that leverage the unique capabilities of our Company.
- Manage the M&A target lists.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 10+ years’ relevant experience required; Master’s Degree, preferred.
- Prior experience in the food/beverage or manufacturing industry preferred.
- Proven ability to lead and manage multiple complex M&A projects.
- Highly analytical and encompass a strategic thought process; must have the ability to stretch outside of tactical method and nature.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Develops and cultivates long-term growth strategies and develops new opportunities to enhance overall profitability of the company.
- Proficient with financial modeling and project management tools.
- Displays strong interpersonal skills include adaptability and ability to communicate persuasively to achieve financial results.
- Develops innovative ways to managing projects and assignments; viewed as a visionary thought leader.
- Demonstrative ability to work effectively cross-functionally in a team environment and establish strong working relationships that create a positive work environment.
- Strong project management skills that includes the ability to prioritize projects and produce a high-quality work product that adds value to the company.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of their team.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.