American Public Education, Inc. (APEI) is seeking applicants for the position of Director, Company Counsel. This position will report to the Senior Vice President & General Counsel. The successful candidate will provide legal services and advice for a variety of company legal matters as assigned and will perform other duties pertaining to this work. Significant areas of practice will include the following: reviewing, drafting, and administering contracts and commercial agreements; advising on education regulatory, employment, data privacy, and other legal matters; and conducting research and providing support regarding state authorization and licensing compliance. This position will regularly interact with company employees, legal professionals and others in the performance of his/her responsibilities. This position has the opportunity for participation in the company’s bonus equity program.
- Assists in the review, drafting and negotiation of contracts and other legal documents, including vendor agreements, licensing agreements, services contracts, non-disclosure agreements, real estate agreements, academic-related agreements and other commercial documents.
- Assists in the administration and management of the organization’s contract management system/database.
- Provides support, research, and assistance regarding federal and state regulatory compliance.
- Provides advice and assistance related to various legal matters and issues involving human resources, company policies, intellectual property, consumer relations, and other areas.
- Coordinates and engages with outside counsel on legal matters, as needed.
- Assists with dispute management and resolution, including consumer and employee complaints and other litigation matters.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV, with occasional travel to Manassas, Virginia. Additional travel may be required from time to time.
- Telework available up to 2 days a week.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated individual with ability to think critically and make clear, well-reasoned decisions.
- Commitment to highest professional and ethical standards.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate, build rapport and communicate across organization with diverse range of academic and business partners.
- Ability to function effectively in fast-paced work environments through prioritization of multiple, and sometimes conflicting, demands in order to meet established deadlines for projects and initiatives.
- Juris Doctorate from American Bar Association (ABA) accredited law school.
- Active member of bar in good standing in any state; bar membership in West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia and/or Washington, D.C preferred.
- Minimum one year of law practice; between two to three years of legal experience required, with between four to six years preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with contract, higher education, and data privacy laws preferred.