Are you a creative, self-driven engineering professional that thrives in fast-paced environments; cultivating new ideas, and collaborating with key stakeholders to expand a business? Then join one of the country’s top 25 consumer packaged goods companies, Smithfield Foods!
As part of our Engineering team, you would analyze data, draft implementation plans for production process optimization. Seeking out ways to maximize efficiencies by eliminating the waste of valuable resources that directly impact our overall operating costs. You are instrumental to the manufacturing of Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other product brands, to meet the needs of our customers and consumers.
The Director of Production Engineering manages and directs engineering for the company in an assigned functional area and is responsible for the efficient operations of the engineering resources for the organization. The key focus of this position is to collaboratively achieve world class operational and engineering performance in our plants; through business partnerships, strategic planning, problem resolution, talent development, insurance of good maintenance execution, capital budget management, and consistent, high level plant execution.
The Director of Production Engineering will build, develop, and manage an organization capable of carrying out operational strategies and executional excellence.Core Responsibilities
- Directly responsible for leadership of engineering resources across the organization and in assigned plants to ensure optimal plant performance.
- Drives a collaborative relationship with cross-functional leadership (Operations, Business Management, Innovation, HR, FSQA, Environmental, Safety, PSM, CI, etc.) to ensure organizational goals are achieved.
- Provides leadership to Central Engineering resources, Plant Engineering leadership teams, and front-line maintenance talent in pursuit of operational and engineering goals, including capability building, staffing, etc.
- Develops and monitors capital budget and Maintenance budget. Manages the capital planning process and Capital and Expense projects.
- Drives Engineering performance in assigned functional area(s) to ensure efficient, reliable, and cost-effective achievement of performance goals, while ensuring the execution of strategic programs.
- Liaises with Operations and Maintenance leadership to identify areas of opportunity and strategies to improve operational performance using all available resources, both internal and external.
- Provides clarity to engineering teams in the areas of process, schedule and priorities. Develops and reinforces habits that maintain development best practices.
- Develops and implements strategic, long, and short-term plans. Establishes processes and procedures for maintaining high standards of operations to ensure that products conform to customer and quality standards.
- Develops, implements and maintains engineering policies and standards with collaboration and input from the engineering staff to ensure that facilities are compliant with internal standards and external regulations.
- Leads teams of highly productive and motivated Engineers and provides them with leadership and direction to design, develop, and execute business objectives and successfully deliver innovative and competitive solutions on time.
- Partners with Human Resources to deploy leadership development opportunities, drive performance management, build a diverse workforce, and introduce advanced leadership concepts to build an engaged and high performing workforce.
- Drives a culture that emphasizes workplace safety, a people first environment, open communication, empowerment, and recognition.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the job incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of duties and responsibilities or employees assigned to this job. Incumbents may be asked to perform other duties as required.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Engineering, Business or related field and 10+ years of experience in Engineering management; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Minimum of 7+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Prior experience as a Plant Engineer or similar role, required.
- Knowledge of different pork products and the Meat Industry, preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and Word, and SAP.
- Ability to take broader roles.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats.
- High level of written and oral communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Ability to communicate technical ideas to a non-technical audience effectively.
- Strong interpersonal, technical and presentation skills, required.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Must be able to travel a minimum of 50% of the time.
- Provide leadership and guidance to indirect employees throughout the organization.
- Responsibilities may include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; assisting in the appraisals of performance; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits