Director of Development – PenFed Foundation
PenFed Credit Union is hiring a Director of Development, PenFed Foundation in Alexandria, Virginia. The Director of Development is responsible for cultivating, soliciting, and closing major Charitable gift contributions from foundation, individual, and corporate supporters. The ideal candidate will conceptualize development priorities, operate in a dynamic environment, recommend innovative solutions, and reconcile divergent views into coherent proposals. The DD will report to the President.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Implement a multi-year, multi-million dollar fundraising strategy including an emphasis on major giving from foundations, individuals, and corporate partnerships.
- Raise the philanthropic resources necessary to support and grow programs and initiatives.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors, prospects, foundations, and companies with an emphasis on multi-year gifts.
- Collaborate with the PenFed Foundation leadership team on growth and operational strategies.
- In collaboration with the CEO and President, prepare the annual fundraising plan for presentation to the Board of Directors; provide detailed reports about fundraising progress on a regular basis.
- Develop grant strategy and maintain regular correspondence with foundations, donors, and the
- Board of Directors.
- Lead development of grant proposals, secure funding, and ensure the organization maintains compliance with grant requirements.
- Appropriately represent the organization, its Board of Directors and staff to current and potential donors.
- Lead, develop, coach and retain a high performing staff. Evaluate performance of team member for execution of Foundation goals and objectives as well as compliance with company policies.
- Regularly evaluate and improve the process and procedures utilized on writing, proposing and securing grant funding.
Education and Experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Must have 12 years work experience with at least 5 years supervisory experience.
- 7-10 years of nonprofit fundraising experience required.
- Demonstrated success identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gift donors.
- Exceptional track record of leading, developing, and executing fundraising and business development initiatives in a complex, multi-disciplinary organization.
- Outstanding ability to network and build rapport with corporate executives and private donors.
- Exhibit sound independent judgment and emotional stability.
- Experience fundraising for veteran and military related programs and initiatives.
- Experience in fundraising event planning and execution preferred.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic and distributed work environment.
- Exposure to/understanding of military operations is a plus.
This position will supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
Certified Fundraising Executive Certification preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and on-call may be required.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 1.8 million members and over $25 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and Portugal. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
Our mission isn’t simply to help our members get by. We exist to help them realize every ounce of their potential. We exist to educate, and to encourage. We exist to usher their dreams into the land of reality.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 571-341-6572.