Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield, Eckrich ®, Nathan's Famous ®, Farmland ®, Armour ®, Farmer John ®, Kretschmar ®, John Morrell ®, Cook's ®, Gwaltney ®, Carando ®, Margherita ®, Curly's ®, Healthy Ones ®, Morliny ®, Krakus ® and Berlinki ®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs.
The Distribution Services Manager will support Distribution Center operations by supervising front office activities and support staff inclusive of reception, shipping clerks, customer service, scheduling, purchasing of DC supplies and office services.Core Responsibilities
Manages the scheduling of inbound and outbound shipments to the facility. Works with the Operations team and corporate transportation to maximize facility's capabilities while still shipping/receiving on time.
Acts as a liaison between the DC’s operations team and customer service. Prioritizes customer needs and orders based on interactions with corp customer service team.
Manages transportation issues at the DC level and is in constant communication with Corporate transportation team to ensure shipments leave the facility on time.
Acts as main contact between yard management system site manager and DC to address accuracy issues.
Orders consumable supplies for distribution center according to preset par levels.
Processes all invoices for DC. Submits these through various computer systems to ensure proper vendor payment.
Maintains office services, approving supply requisitions and assigning clerical functions to proper support facility. Manages outside third party services for building and property maintenance.
Manages reception area and arrangements for onsite meetings. Coordinates off-site activities for office staff and visitors. Publishes work schedules for office staff and hourly employees, as needed. Supervises and coordinates overall administration activities for office staff.
Manages maintenance of office equipment based on warranties and operational maintenance.
Manages security of building by proper distribution of building access keys with proper security clearance to individuals.
Participates in interview process of hourly employees.
Generates management reports from WMS / TMS / SAP, summarizes information and identifies trends / expense tracking as required.
Performs administrative tasks and other tasks as assigned by General Manager
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 5+ years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Good understanding of common shipping/receiving practices including scheduling, arriving, receiving, shipping and departing shipments of refrigerated product.
Experience in the start-up of a distribution facility, a plus, as multi tasking is a constant during the start up phase.
- Minimum of 2+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
Experience in a distribution center/warehouse environment is highly desired.
Knowledge of SAP Manufacturing software; SAP Order processing systems; Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software.
Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Strong decision making, analytical and problem-solving skills.
Ability to motivate, train and coach employees to encourage optimum performance and engagement.
Good planning and priority setting skills.
May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Distribution Center.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
The work environment characteristics & hysical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions including heat, humidity, cold, and precipitation.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud if working in the warehouse area.
Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds; occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.