The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The purpose of this position is to provide for the efficient and continuous operation of all plant systems and equipment with as little downtime as possible. This individual will install, service, trouble-shoot and repair all types of electronic and electrical controls and equipment and work closely with other maintenance personnel on his/her shift. Duties include but are not limited to the following tasks: troubleshoots and repairs electronic and electrical equipment, repairs scale’s and like systems, aids Production Mechanics when technical or additional support is needed, and work weekend and overtime when required.Core Responsibilities
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2 years’ experience as Electronics Technician or Instrumentation Technician in an industrial/meat processing setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Associate’s Degree in Electronics or Instrumentation from an accredited technical or community college, preferred.
- Fundamental knowledge of plant systems and equipment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of electronics and electrical theory.
- Working knowledge of PLC’s, ladder logic, and associated hardware.
- Working knowledge of motor control systems.
- Working knowledge of inverters and frequency drives to include set up and configuration.
- Knowledge of plant procedures to include H.A.C.C.P. lockout/tagout, etc.
- Working knowledge of computers and computer systems.
- Fundamental knowledge of valve controls.
- Working knowledge of RTD’s, thermocouples, and other temperature measurement devices. Comprehensive knowledge of field wiring and terminations as they relate to electronics.
- Ability to use test equipment, light duty equipment and tools.
- Comprehension of complex electrical and electronic wiring diagrams and control schematics.
- Working knowledge of Robotics and Controls.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the following test equipment:
- Volt/Ohm/Amp. Meter
- Current Source Calibrator
- Thermocouple and RTD Calibrators
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance, vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands to handle, or feel, and talk or hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits