The Transport Engineering Solutions organization is dedicated to improving reliability and robustness for the Windstream core and access networks. It will be incumbent upon the engineer to provide sustained support for the transport and data network engineering teams as well as both customer-facing and network-facing service assurance teams (i.e., TNOC, WSA, ERC, etc…).
- Configure transport network services from the ground up on Windstream network elements without assistance
- Experience with provisioning and troubleshooting transport and data services
- Understanding of national telecommunications standards such as ITU-T G.8032, ITU-T Y.1564, IETF RFC 2544, G.8031, etc…
- Understanding of various network protocols such as Resilient Ethernet Protocol (REP), Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), Internet Protocol (IP), etc…
- Knowledge of IP addressing/subnetting
- In depth understanding of layer 1 and layer 2 network platforms (e.g., Infinera, Cisco 7600, Cisco 15454, Cisco ME3400, Ciena, Coriant)
- Basic understanding of OTN technology
- Ability to perform daily tasks with a variety of computer applications (i.e. Excel, Viso, Word, etc.)
- Self-motivated, team player
- Ability to work independently.
- Good interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Good analytical skills
- Ability to prioritize projects
- Ability to stay current with the technological developments in the telecommunications industry
- Strong communication i.e. clear confident verbal and grammatically correct written communication, ability to effectively host conference calls with multiple internal & external stakeholders
Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities;
- Experience with the following equipment is preferred (3-5 years of experience) with at least three of the listed:
- Fujitsu product line (7420,4500, 4100, FLM150, FLM2400)
- Lucent DDM2000, DMX
- Alcatel 1648, 1640, 1603, 1631, 1630, 1671
- Nortel OC48/Optera
- Coriant/Tellabs 5500, 532, 7100
- Cisco ONS 15454, M6, CPT, 7600, ME3400
- Ciena Z-series
- Element Management Systems (e.g., Infinera DNA, Planet Operate, Coriant TNMS, etc.)
- Ability to effectively isolate issues on the transport and data network and redesign on an as needed basis
- DWDM deployment experience
- Ability to effectively direct field technicians and other personnel during troubleshooting and maintenance activities
- Engage engineering and operations teams within Windstream on a peer to peer basis and work issues to resolution
- Support for the network and customer facing service assurance teams from a troubleshooting and engineering standpoint
- Ability to run projects to completion.
- Awareness for network changes.
- Work closely with transport operations, transport engineering, network planning and other technical verticals to specifically address the challenges encountered within the optical and data domains.
- Customer interaction will be required at times.
- Create method of procedures and implement maintenance activities when needed
- Develop new and better methods to deliver our products with maximum efficiency and reliability.
- Work directly with vendors for development
- Work with vendors in regard to troubleshooting issues that arise on the network