As an OSP Planning Engineer, you will be developing efficient and cost-effective network solutions to provide direction to Windstream’s Outside Plant and Broadband Engineering and Construction teams, contributing directly to deploying a forward-looking outside plant network infrastructure and state-of-the-art broadband electronics to provide advanced telecommunication services to Windstream’s customers.
• Estimating costs associated with outside plant projects and submitting requests for capital funding approval.
• Planning fiber routes for DSLAM/BBDLC backhaul, point-to-point Ethernet, GPON, and interoffice connectivity.
• Evaluating and redesigning existing network infrastructure into new distribution serving areas that shorten copper loops and maximize the broadband speeds available to Windstream customers.
• Selecting the appropriate DSLAM and BBDLC electronics required to provide service to customers in a specific serving area and determining the optimal location to deploy that equipment.
• Determining how best to spend capital dollars to address outside plant requirements triggered by external demands including facility relocations for DOT road work, network buildouts to serve new residential and business subdivisions, and network upgrades mandated by federal, state, or local government.
• Supporting the Sales and Marketing organizations by providing cost studies and pricing estimates for proposed facility builds in response to RFPs, individual customer requests for service, and corporate initiatives.
• Communicating daily with other work groups, both technical and non-technical, to provide timely updates and pass on information in a clear and concise manner.
• Other duties as assigned to meet business and customer service requirements.
• Less than 5% travel
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
• College degree in Engineering or related field and 2-6 years relevant work experience, or 6-10 years equivalent work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
• Solid understanding of outside plant engineering and construction principles.
• Previous experience planning or engineering outside plant facilities including feeder and distribution design for both fiber and copper networks.
• Familiarity with serving area design concepts for xDSL-based copper distribution and/or GPON-based fiber distribution networks.
• Solid understanding of access network design principles including physical and logical topologies, uplink sizing, port capacity, and bandwidth management.
• Working knowledge of Ethernet-based BBDLC and DSLAM equipment platforms for the delivery of voice, broadband, and video services.
• Self-motivated with the ability to effectively prioritize, manage, and complete work assignments in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment with minimal supervision.
• Outstanding verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to summarize and present detailed information to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Able to quickly understand requirements and identify appropriate solutions.
• Team-oriented and experienced at working in a collaborative environment. Willing to consider the opinions of others and to think outside the box.
• Desire to learn new skills and a willingness to embrace change with a positive attitude.
- Solid PC skills with the aptitude to quickly learn new software applications.Proficient at using Microsoft Windows, Office and Outlook. Familiarity with CAD/GIS, database, and asset management software is a plus
Job Category: Engineering
Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer including minority/female/disability/veteran; Without regard to: race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or employment status. Windstream is a drug-free workplace.