The Engineer I/II – OSP (Outside Plant) is responsible for designing and developing moderately complex Outside Plant equipment installation, modifications, and upgrades and/or construction activities. The candidate will be responsible for tasks associated with special circuit orders and will support both business and residential customers utilizing copper cable, fiber cable, and electronic pair gain facilities. This position will work on problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors and will work closely with OSP Field Engineering on orders requiring construction to support the ordered product. Must have at least two years of telecom industry work experience with an Engineering degree OR six years of telecom experience without a degree.
- Design line setup and staking specifications, and cable and line extensions
- Assist in the planning, analysis, and recommendations in support of new construction of outside plant network structures and facilities, including digital loop carrier systems and technology
- Organize complex activities for the development, implementation, and maintenance of OSP engineering projects
- Utilize a wide range of experience, sound engineering practices, and company objectives to resolve issues in creative and effective ways
- Utilize a high level of communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain positive and productive working relationships
- Perform engineering design evaluations including cost-effective utilization of materials
- Perform administrative work relating to projects and assignments
- Promote a positive change in the company's business strategy through achievement of customer and internal specific objectives and technological innovation of practical and profitable nature
- Identify pole ownership, right of way and permit requirements for proposed routes
- Communicate with city, county and state permitting agencies
- Assess situations, seek multiple perspectives, gather additional information if necessary, identify key issues, to solve complex problems
- Conduct 30% of work in the field and 70% in the office on average; varies per market
College degree in Engineering or a related field and 2-4 years professional level experience; or 6 years professional level related Engineering/Technical experience; or an equivalent combination of education and professional level related Engineering/Technical experience required.
Job Category: Engineering
Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer including minority/female/disability/veteran; Without regard to: race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or employment status. Windstream is a drug-free workplace.