Performs a variety of skilled building and related facility maintenance; repair tasks involving mechanical and control system equipment and systems such as heating, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing; general maintenance and other repairs in the School District buildings and structures.
Hourly Rate Range- $18.91/hr to $23.20/hr per hour
8 hours per day
This is a full-time position and is eligible for insurance benefits.
Please review the attached UCSD Actions of Excellence to gain an understanding of the expectations for UCSD employees.
(Skills, Knowledge, Abilities, Education, Certification/Licensure, Experience, Equipment)
A. Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Capacity to set up, adjust and operate basic machines and equipment to perform work functions; starting, controlling, adjusting and stopping machines or equipment; moving or carrying objects.
- Capacity to understand the meaning of words in oral and written form such as work instructions, operating manual procedures and to speak coherently with staff, faculty and students in receiving and conveying basic information.
- Must be able to read blueprints and schematic drawings, both on paper and electronic devices.
- High School diploma or G.E.D.
- Valid Iowa Driver License required.
- Journeyman's Licensure Preferred
- Engineering Licensure Preferred
- Electrical Licensure Preferred
- Fireman's Licensure Acceptable
- Similar job-related experience is required.
- Must be familiar with all common hand and power tools and the safe use of them.
- Needs the ability to, or the ability to learn to operate HVAC equipment and DDC controls from several manufactures. Familiarization with the operation of VFD is a plus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Based on certifications/licensure, helps to monitor and maintain heating and cooling, electrical, plumbing, and other various systems for proper operation.
- Makes minor adjustments, perform preventative maintenance and repair equipment when necessary making sure all work orders are completed.
- Advise department supervisor of serious problems or in-depth corrective action needed on building systems.
- Keep building safe and secure. Make sure all doors; locks, fire, security equipment and alarms are in working order. Replace or repair when necessary.
- Maintain air quality and proper temperatures in buildings. Monitor and inspect all air handling equipment and parts; belts, motors, filters, controls, compressors, etc. Repair or replace parts as needed.
- Repair broken furniture and appliances as needed and when possible.
- Purchase and locate necessary supplies, parts and materials. Work with vendors, other schools and salvage yards, etc.
- Perform carpentry, painting, electrical and related building maintenance tasks in renovating floors, rooms, floor adjustments, roofing and related tasks needing repair.
- On call for after hour emergencies on occasion.
- Unload trucks.
- Assist with grounds maintenance, snow removal, field setup, unlocking and opening buildings.
- Maintain a reliable attendance record.
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned.
- Satisfactory health as certified by a competent medical authority.
- Drug, tobacco, and alcohol free while working.
- Must be able to see and hear within normal limits with our without corrective lenses or hearing aids.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle used to travel between sites.
- Both inside and outside work depending on the season of the year or work priorities.
- Occasional exposure to body fluids, fumes, noise, and hazardous materials and emergency situations.
- Exposed to noise, dusts, burns from chemicals, possible strains from improper lifting and related occupational hazards.
- Occasionally work from heights.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- At-will employee
- 12 Month position
- Per Board Policies and administrative guidelines
- Performance evaluated annually
No student enrolled in the Urbandale Community School District shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in the District's programs on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status (for program), ethnic background, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age (for employment) or socio-economic background (for program). The policy of the District shall be to provide educational programs and opportunities for students as needed on the basis of individual interests, values, abilities and potential. If you have questions please contact the district office at 11152 Aurora Ave, Urbandale, IA or call 515.457.5000. The district's Equity Coordinators are Dr. Keri Schlueter, Coordinator of Student Services; Mark Lane, Associate Superintendent of Human Resources & Operations; and Crista Carlile, Director of Teaching and Learning.