Engineer Software III- Secaucus, New Jersey - Schedule TBD
Look for more than answers. Patients and Physicians rely on our diagnostic testing, information and services to help them make better healthcare decisions. These are often serious decisions with far reaching consequences, and require sensitivity, tact and a clear dedication to service. It’s about providing clarity and hope.
You will work for the world leader in the industry, with a career where you can expand your skills and knowledge. You’ll have a role where you can act with professionalism, you can inspire colleagues, and you can care about the work we do and the people we serve.
At Quest, we are on a continuous journey of discovery and development. It’s this attitude that has made us an industry leader and the #1 Diagnostic Lab in the US. For those joining us, we offer exciting and fast moving career opportunities where you can affect change at a rate unheard of in many organizations of our size and scope. While we invest in and develop technology to drive our innovations, our ongoing success relies on our people.
Work as part of a small, agile team to design and implement new features and technologies in a variety of different products throughout Quest Diagnostics. Deliver high quality, high performance code in an agile environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop key product features within existing large-scale enterprise applications and new strategic initiatives that will drive system and operational efficiencies, measure system performance, and provide “glue” for complex solutions.
- Participate in the full SDLC involving design, implementation, testing, & launching.
- Assist with the generation and analysis of business and functional requirements for proposed software solutions.
- Participate in architectural and database design discussions as they relate to product direction.
- Develop features completely including the front-end components and the backend systems.
- Design and implement changes to systems that yield higher performance and resiliency while achieving lower operations overhead.
- Own the delivery of an entire piece of a system or application, and serve as a technical lead on small to midsize complex projects.
- Work closely with other engineers to develop the best technical design and approach for new product development.
- Build software solutions where the problem is not well defined. Design and define the interaction between the other component pieces.
- Consistently define and apply technologies, standards and software engineering practices, mentoring other team members.
- Contribute to the focus and effectiveness of the development team; tracking issues to resolution, monitoring the effectiveness of tasks, and providing status to the team lead.
- Raise long-term architecture issues within project.
- Conduct design and code reviews of multiple projects.
- Generate data for project planning, including task breakdown & estimation of work for a project. Competent in developing accurate estimates & risk assessments. Track status within the project as necessary.
- Communicate team and project status to project manager and director.
- May occasionally act in the Team Lead role
- Act as the designated expert for owned application area(s).
- Contribute to the continued improvement of the organization’s development procedures by looking for opportunities for improvement and implementing solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5+ years professional experience in software development.
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented (OO) design patterns, distributed databases, and data modeling techniques.
Physical and Mental:
- Ability to multi-task, Analytical skills, Ability to follow verbal or written instructions, Thinking analytically, Communication, Using effective verbal communication, Using effective written communication, Handling stress & emotions, Concentrating on tasks, Making decisions, Adjusting to change, Examining/observing details, Sitting for long periods at a time
- Proficiency in Enterprise Java programming plus one or more modern programming languages such as Ruby, Python, or C#.
- Ability to work well with people and be both highly motivated and motivating.
- Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications.
- Experience with Web Technologies, Visual Basic, and multi-tier architectures.
Leadership Capabilities Individual Contributors Behaviors
1. Know the Business
Uses knowledge of Quest’s key customer groups and needs, markets, business operations, performance trends and emerging issues to inform short and longer-term focus.
- Understands the business, the market and the broader industry and applies this knowledge when making business decisions
- Consistently delivers on the organization’s value proposition to customers
- Has awareness of how the organization makes money and how his/her contributions impact profit margins
- Gathers data to holistically diagnose problems before acting
2. Focus on the Customer
Seeks to understand and meet the needs and expectations of customers in a manner that provides internal and external customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Understands key customer groups served across Quest businesses
- Develops relationships with and understands the needs of his/her key customers
- Delivers on all commitments made to his/her customers
- Anticipates customer requests and proactively identifies potential solutions
3. Promote Strategic Alignment
Collects, analyzes and leverages the broader market and competitor trends to set and communicate strategy and ensure alignment of all core business processes.
- Is able to effectively balance details or tactical work with an understanding of the bigger organizational and business context
- Personally ensures alignment between his/her goals and the company's strategy
- Uses his/her knowledge of broader strategic priorities to help guide and influence work focus and adjustments
- Continuously monitors industry and business trends that are relevant to his/her own focus area(s)
4. Collaborate with Others
Demonstrates ability to successfully work with others to achieve business priorities. Approaches others with a positive attitude toward achieving common goals. Treats others with respect and values the contributions of others.
- Understands how to navigate the organization’s formal and informal systems/processes to deliver on commitments
- Demonstrates awareness of the goals of other functions/departments and the organization and makes decisions based on that knowledge
- Develops strong relationships by delivering on all commitments and displaying a willingness to compromise when appropriate
- Consistently approaches work with a collaborative spirit within and across groups/departments, and demonstrates appreciation and respect for others' perspectives and ideas
5. Communicate Openly & Transparently
Effectively communicates by actively listening and sharing relevant information to others so as to anticipate problems and ensure delivery on all commitments; adjusts style, tone and level of detail appropriate to the audience.
- Actively listens to others and shows comprehension by restating messages to ensure full understanding and asking open-ended questions to encourage exchange of ideas
- Adapts communication content and delivery (oral or written) by taking into consideration the needs and perspectives of the audience
- Openly expresses opinions, even when different from others', and refrains from judging or criticizing others' ideas
- Enlists others' support in accomplishing objectives or tasks by referencing data or logic as a means of influence
6. Continuously Develop Self and Others
Consistently shows a commitment to learning by proactively seeking and sharing with others opportunities to develop new capabilities, skills, and knowledge; acquires the skills needed to continually enhance his/her contributions to the organization; solicits and openly provides feedback to others.
- Takes ownership for identifying and taking advantage of learning opportunities to further develop his/her skills and capabilities, both technical/functional and behavioral
- Consistently transfers learning to the job through application of newly acquired skills
- Regularly seeks out feedback from others (e.g., manager, peers)
- Joins external networks/associations to augment knowledge base and build relationships with others in the field, and applies relevant knowledge or best practices on the job
7. Deliver Superior Performance
Consistently delivers required business results; sets and accomplishes stretch objectives and goals; adheres to quality standards and meets deadlines; maintains focus on the organization’s broader goals.
- Consistently finds new and innovative ways to solve business problems
- Identifies and directly addresses barriers that may interfere with successful completion of work and attempts to mitigate possible future issues
- Maintains commitment to all goals, even in the face of challenges
- Exhibits action orientation around solving problems and meetings and/or exceeding goals
8. Demonstrate Agility in Decision Making
Makes informed decisions based on analysis, experience, knowledge and judgment but is unafraid to make sound decisions without all information or in ambiguous situations. Leverages personal experiences, background and subject matter expertise to consider relevant alternatives when making good decisions
- Consistently makes good choices by evaluating data, impact, risk, perspective, and organizational goals and contingencies
- Is unafraid to make quality decisions, even with incomplete data
- Exhibits sound judgment when deciding whether or not to take action or to escalate an issue to management
9. Accelerate and Embrace Change
Initiates and/or leads the change process; engage others in all aspects of the change; models agility and comfort with ambiguity by seeking out and responding to feedback about the change, including direction, priorities, approaches and pace. Makes recommendations about changes that should be made in a given situation and voices ideas and concerns
- Embraces and communicates support for organizational changes that positively affect work processes
- Demonstrates comfort in shifting priorities to address changes in the work environment
- Is resourceful about identifying the best course of action, even in the face of ambiguity