Engineering Manager 2
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
In this position, you will head up several engineering teams within Energy Service, ensuring delivery of a portfolio of projects, as well as guiding and coaching the engineering team, and developing their skills and knowledge.
You will be leading Distributed control system (DCS) and/or Human Machine Interface (HMI) Engineers. The candidate must have proven experience with executing Automation projects. This position will be responsible for leading and supervising a team of engineers as they design, test, modify, and commission Automation projects for the utility industry.
- Manage, support and provide direction and leadership to Engineers.
- Interview and hire new employees.
- Develop training strategies and mentoring new and existing employees.
- Plan, assign, and direct work.
- Appraise performance, reward employees and manage conflict resolution.
- Ensure the quality of the work produced by direct reports through following workflows and consistent follow up.
- Participate in project reviews and lessons learned meetings. Use the output of the meetings to scope, lead, roll-out and sustain process improvements.
- Help identify best practices and ensure direct reports are following them.
- Review proposals for the Proposal Department to ensure accurate budgets and schedules.
- Work closely with Human Resources Department to ensure supervisory responsibilities are carried out in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Promote independent actions of direct reports.
- Provide technical advice to Engineers and other departments related to project execution, customer specifications, design standards and applicable codes.
- Provide value add activities for Project Managers and Engineers to ensure smooth and efficient project execution.
- Help facilitate resolution of conflicts between ABB and customers in order to reach a win-win outcome.
- Provide administrative support to senior managers.
- Maintain awareness of state-of-the-art technology and market trends affecting Company products and services and recommend responsive actions.
- Provide hands-on support for Engineers when required.
- Bachelor’s in Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical or Computer Engineering is desired and minimum of 10 years of experience in a related field of work is required.
- Previous direct line management is not required.
- Experience executing projects where DCS or PLC platforms and their HMIs delivered to utilities or process industries.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to lead training.
- Proficient with computer software including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, Project, PowerPoint).
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Solar, Wind, Hydro, Water/Wastewater or Utility power plants industries is a plus.
- Current or legacy ABB DCS or HMI experience is a plus.
- General understanding of network engineering and IT/IS is a plus (PC handling, Windows applications, PC configurations, Virus scanners, interfaces, backup).
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Wellbeing program
- Medical insurance
More about us
ABB Energy Industries is enabling safe, smart and sustainable projects and operations for businesses across the oil, gas, chemicals, life sciences, power generation and water sectors. Driving integrated solutions that automate, digitalize and electrify industry we connect our people and technology to help our customers adapt and succeed. With over 50 years domain expertise, we continue to innovate and reshape traditional approaches across the energy sector with our technologies designed to improve operational efficiency, reduce risk, reduce energy consumption and waste.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
ABB in the United States requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or in specific and limited circumstances, be approved for a sincerely held religious belief or a medical/disability accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.